Cobra vs STi, C5, SRT10 Ram

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
Ok, my car is a 97, and not a Terminator, but it has run a best of 12.9 at 106. I expect a bunch of BS flags now by putting that out there. :lol: Cliffnotes at the bottom.

This story took place on Thanksgiving and the day after, I was driving my car up to Kansas from Florida, because I had to go home on emergency leave.

The first car I ran into was a C5 Corvette that was running spiritedly through traffic. I got all excited and looked over to the wife and said "look babe, I'm about to get my ass kicked". I drove up to it and got along side at 70mph, a prime speed for a third gear punch. The owner of the Vette was a middle aged man who obviously had worked hard in life and was reaping the benefits, and was very cool. He looked over and gave me the thumbs up and motioned forward to see if I wanted to go, and of course I do. I grabbed third and waited for him to go, and when he does, I nail it and we stay dead even until I shift at 98, and I went all the way up to 120. While I was in fourth, his nose went from about two feet in front of mine to my back tire.

We both hit the brakes at about the same time, and I screamed like a 12 year old girl at a boy band concert that I just beat a Corvette, and the wife just rolled her eyes. The Corvette's pilot pulled up along side of me with a big smile and gave me a thumbs up, then a few miles down the road pulled off and waved out the window and honked at me. Yeah, I know this doesn't make any sense, I suspect his car was an early, stone stock auto that was in a dead spot.

The second car I ran into was a blue STi just before the KY border in TN. This was a very nice car, and except for maybe a bov (do they have loud ones stock??), this car appeared very virgin. we lined up the first time from 65 mph and went up to about 120 for me. I pulled a solid four cars. This repeated three more times, and I really don't see any reason why I wouldn't have pulled that car like that at high speed.

The third car was nice yellow SRT10 Ram that I ran into in KCK, and this is the one that doesn't make sense to me. This was an older man who seemed to be not quite so cool as the Corvette guy. He saw me first I believe and came up along side of me and blared is wonderful v10 exhaust into my ear and took off like a bat out of hell. God, that was a WONDERFUL noise. Anyway, I caught up to him about a mile down the road and got along side of him for an 80 mph punch, a bit slow for fourth but too fast for third. He nailed it and the Viper motor started singing that wonderful song, and I got on it right along side of him. He got a two car jump, but I immediatly stopped his pull, but couldn't reel him in.

After we got out of it, he stayed fairly steady at 70mph, which is what I hoped for. I got along side of him and downshifted to third, and waited. Sure enough, it didn't take long for him to take the bait and we were going again. He got a slight jump at first, but then we stayed even all the way up to 110, then I started to pull after that, to a solid three car lead to 130mph. This happened three more times, and I never heard him get out of it. I know this makes no sense, and I have no clue as to why this happened. :shrug:

So that's my little tale.

Cliffnotes- Beat a C5 by about five feet from 70 to 120, pulled a stockish STi by four cars several times, and somehow managed to beat an SRT10.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Good runs. How did the STI do 65-100? I raced one and he stayed even with me up to 100. Do you have gears?

bmfgsxr

Established Member
good job man.. although the srt10 story makes the most sense of all of them since running at those speeds is a trucks worst area to run from.. down low is where its at in the muscle trucks.

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
ScottsMach03 said:
Good runs. How did the STI do 65-100? I raced one and he stayed even with me up to 100. Do you have gears?

I do have gears, exactly what is the issue of debate at the moment. I suspect they are 4.30's.

I had a pretty constant pull on the STi the whole way, I wouls guesstimate my lead at 100 to be about a car and a half from glancing in the mirror, but it seems like fourth gear is where I do most of my butt whooping on other cars, it seems like everything can hang fairly decently from first to third.

bmfgsxr said:
good job man.. although the srt10 story makes the most sense of all of them since running at those speeds is a trucks worst area to run from.. down low is where its at in the muscle trucks.

Well, he is about a thousand pounds heavier, and has the aerodynamics of a brick, but I honestly would have thought that his 200 horsepower advantage would have taken care of that, even at high speeds. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread