Cobra Vs. GTP

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
anyway...

since the kills section needs more stuff..

hot off the road. i see a gtp weavin and he get's behind me. i allready know it's on. at the light he's stuck behind me so i ease out and let him get by my side.

he dumps it and i drop the hammer halfway through first. at the end of first he's 2 cars back. at the end of second i thnk he's at least 7 or 8 cars back(i cant tell at that distance, i need binoculars) so i ease off since this is a mellow area. when he finally catches up he tries the flyby. i drop it in second and reel him in. push third to redline while he's another few buslenths back.

at the next intersection i ask how much boost he's running and he does not know. just picked up the car. he then tells me that it runs 180mph on the freeway..i roll my eyes, give a thumbs up and roll on outta there. yawn..that's about as much excitment as i get around here.:sleeping:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Ha ha....good kill. A guy I used to work with had one and I got the feeling he thought it was a very fast car -LOL. Ever since then, I wanted to take my upcoming only street race against a stocker one.

catch22

Established Member
waste of gas >.<

180mph on the freeway? I think he meant his tac reads 180. Which, means nothing.... Mine says 200, but I won't ever get there......

A lot of non-gear head types just think it's a v8 so it can run with other v8s. I dunno. Numbers don't mean much to a lot of people. If they did, I don't think anyone would buy M3s or M5s. haha

ez112

Established Member
Good kill, man. That'll teach em to mess with a Cobra.

I'm not a big fan of L67's, and on top of that, the driver was a retard.

Dusten

Established Member
What year GTP? My buddies had all the bolt on's, and ran a best of 13.97....
The fastest he ran on the freeway was a GPS'd speed of 148

blue35thgt

Established Member
My GTP runs a 13.3... Its modded though.. when it ran (fuel pump dead) it was fun to drive.. Only time I raced was some dude in a WRX.. that was a easy.. easy kill..

Satyr

Established Member
GTP speedometers go to 110, not 180...anyways, they are easy dining for a terminator.

They do respond farily well to pulley/porting...but not well enough to run with a cobra lol.

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
Dusten said:
What year GTP? My buddies had all the bolt on's, and ran a best of 13.97....
The fastest he ran on the freeway was a GPS'd speed of 148

it was the previous bodystyle like so:

ad_265_1.jpg

Dusten

Established Member
They are good for low 14's stock....
But when a 16 year old gets one, they are amazed with the power, as the motor makes decent torque with the blower and a 3.8

Edbo

Established Member
Nice Kill - I had one (GTP) 'harass' me at a couple of redlights a few weeks ago. I was just cruisin' with the top down and he'd just 'launched' at the previous light and left me, of course I figured it was a waste of gas. This light, in order to shut him and his laughing buddy up, I revved and it was on at green. I dropped the clutch, nailed 2nd to 3rd and let up about 15 lengths in front of him and in order to stop at the next light. He pulls up and doesn't say a word. His buddy goes, "Now that's a Bad Ass ride, you killed our slow asses!".

shamis935

Jesus built my hotrod
Established Member
catch22 said:
waste of gas >.<

180mph on the freeway? I think he meant his tac reads 180. Which, means nothing.... Mine says 200, but I won't ever get there......

A lot of non-gear head types just think it's a v8 so it can run with other v8s. I dunno. Numbers don't mean much to a lot of people. If they did, I don't think anyone would buy M3s or M5s. haha

that 200 on your tach is for the kilo setting.

r0b0t c0rpse

Join my hate club today!
Established Member
catch22 said:
waste of gas >.<

doubt it, stock spedo doesnt go that high, stock pcm limits the car to ~120 (seems to fall between 110 and 125 its set the same in the PCM however some people report different numbers based on engine load, tire size and spedo calibration) , 108 if it has T series tires.

ah well, prolly stock. GTP's dont have a numerical gauge just a bar that lights up... its like [|||||| ] BOOST so ... you have no idea what it is.

stock is ~7 psi under most conditions.

come up to MI if you wanna run some faster ones ;) I've had my car north of 150 afew times, not something i would do with stock suspension. I will say, with my new suspension i was impressed with how well the car feels at those speeds, it felt pretty well connected to the road, where as with stock suspension it felt like i could take flight at any moment.

Last edited:

r0b0t c0rpse

Join my hate club today!
Established Member
Satyr said:
GTP speedometers go to 110, not 180...anyways, they are easy dining for a terminator.

They do respond farily well to pulley/porting...but not well enough to run with a cobra lol.

O RLY? hope you never run into any of these.

Announcer calls it a grand am :rollseyes:

https://oncourse.iu.edu/access/content/user/jdsorens/Filemanager_Public_Files/Matt_Runs_9.7.wmv

http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/centrivipe3_73789.html

http://www.intense-racing.com/movies/TurboCar_9s.wmv

there are atleast 1 car already in the 9's and another on the way (actualy 8's).

field widens signifcantly in the 10's, more so in the 11's... and quite afew in the 12's. I ran a 13 my first time at the track... not only is it possible, it doesn't take much to make these cars competition. Not saying its easier, just possible. I've got my sights on 12's w/ street tires. The car is pulling strong now, needs some more tuning and if i cannot get there now (which i should), i have a methanol injection kit i could try... or a 75 shot :p even if i do get there... i may end up trying some of that other stuff and see just how far i can take it ;) they have run 11.78 on the cam i have in the car right now.

here's the 8's hopeful:

bobfinish1.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
catch22 said:
waste of gas >.<

It's not a v8....
it's a 3.8 v6 with an eaton M90 supercharger....

Nice kill btw.
I drive a buick with the same motor, these cars are fast, but no where near cobra territory. I have goofed around with some cars I see in town, I get ym ass handed to me, but it's funny to see the owners face when they realize it's buick and it atleast put up a fight. It's the best car ever to kill street ricers with too....Vtec got nothin, lol

Users who are viewing this thread