Cobra vs Durmax Diesel

cobra_matt

Established Member
I was out cruising yesterday trying to get some driving time in before my brother takes over the payments on my car. I was at a stoplight next to a 4x4 crew cab Duramax diesel with a shell on it. I'm not sure what year model it was, I don't know much about Chevys but it was pretty new looking. Thought nothing of it until the passenger in the truck asked if I wanted to run 'em (I was in the right lane, they were in the left lane). I looked around, saw no one in sight and said sure. Light turns green, we both launch the shit out of our cars/trucks and to my surprise he was right there with me through second gear. I started pulling on him top of second, threw it in third and had about 1.5-2 cars on him by the time I let off at 65. I looked in my mirror and couldn't see anything but black smoke haha. My car is all stock sans the cat back exhaust. I know people tune diesels to run pretty damn quick and some even get to the 10s, I just never seen it in person. Those diesels are sleepers!

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
You shifted from 2nd to third before 60?

I don't need to shift before 80.

My car isn't stock, just didn't know the difference was that great.

but, yeah, you just never know what some people have.

cobra_matt

Established Member

I didn't have my eye on the speedometer but my second gear winds out to about 60 or so. What gears do you have? 3.31s?

crazycarlo

Established Member
i got outrun at the track by a disel last year, a street truck running 12.3, that same truck now runs 11.3's they can be quick and suprise alot of ppl.

cobra_matt

Established Member
stock 3.55s here and it'll wind out to ~80 in 2nd.

You guys are right. I did some calculations and with a 2nd gear ratio of 1.78 and stock tire size with 3.55s, at 6500 RPM you're going 78 MPH. I'm going to have to do some test runs today and get a camera on my tach and speedo.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
i bet money on it it was an LBZ duramax, my friends father has 1 thats a 2wd crew cab on on street tires it has run a best of 13.01 @ 106mph his mods are a cold air intake, 4.5" turboback and the newest superchips tuner. turbo is on 38lbs.....he claimed it made 652rwhp but i found out from diesel guys there is no way it could have made that with just those mods but i did see the 13.01 pass in person and i have driven it before.

it can light the tires up to 6th gear when you do shift on the fly with the allison 6spd :)

it makes pullied lightinings look slow from digs atleast

Last edited:

pnshmntMMA

Mustang Deprived
Established Member
Go on youtube and theres videos of duramax's smoking vipers. anything can beat anything, just depends where you put the money.

SVT GI

Established Member
my old '04 6.0 Powerstroke would suprise a lot people especially launching from a dig in 4 wheel drive on 30lbs. I'd get a 3 truck holeshot and they'd spend the rest of the time trying to run me down. On the highway, I would always get top ended though.

Jaimie03Cobra

Established Member

Your car should red line at about 75 with stock gears. You are wasting your time bringing it to 80. Somewhere mid to upper 60's would be more ideal at your power level I would think.

Jaimie

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
here in redneckville everyone has a 600hp+ diesel, they can rip shit outta the hole thats no joke

mysticalsnake

Established Member
damn trucks can be made quick for sure. you should see people's faces whenever i pass i pass the ricers around here in my 2000 F-350 crew cab long bed. Definitely entertaining to see lol ( truck is AFE stage II intake MBRP 4" turbo back with Edge Juice w/ attitude at level 5)

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I got called out by a friend who has a 04 duramax with a tune, cai, and exhaust..

We'll see how it goes in a few weeks. lol.

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
My LBZ w/ a Diablosport Performance tune (+~100WHP, +~300Ft-lbs), is pretty stout, if i do say so myself.

I mean, it's nothing like my cobra, but for a truck, it's fast.

Users who are viewing this thread