Cobra vs 08 Z06

ScubaTermi

Established Member
Finally a buddy and I got to get 3 good runs in the other day. Race 1 was a 10 mph roll by 80 I had a car and a half on him. Run 2 we went at 30 and by 75 I had a car on him. Run 3 we went from 40 with both of us in second and he actually had almost a car on me by 80. All in all just some friendly runs. I truly think that I could get him up to about 120 and have him by 2 to 2 1/2 cars but after that those Z06s are just plain nasty fast and he would just walk from me. My car makes 505 and his car has intake and exhaust no tune. One day I would like to own one :beer:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Define his car has exhaust. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that an intake / exhaust z should be making 480. If it's just mufflers and intake it should still make around 460 no tune.

Just friendly questions, not bashing. Anything can happen on the street.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Nice! Still looking to race a lightly/mildly modified one myself....

I love the look of your car with those rims btw, duno if I have ever seen that combo

SlwSVT

Established Member
If you were getting him from a 1st gear roll, but then he gets you from a 2nd gear roll at 40, sounds like he needs the driver mod/traction mod. 2nd gear at 40 in a z06 is bad. Him pulling a length there, shows that he has plenty of power at that bad starting point.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Good runs, but am I the only one that doesn't think a Cobra with 505rwhp is gonna beat a c6z with intake/exhaust from any type of roll, unless he either can't drive or has zero traction? Even if he's only got 460rwhp like Firestarter said, he weighs several hundred pounds less. I always thought from everything I've read that it takes at least a twin-screw to hang with c6z's from a roll? If I'm incorrect, and that's definitely possible since I never raced a c6z when I had the Cobra, then please correct me.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
anything in either 1st gear or below 40mph is not ideal for a Z. Cobras/Shelbys make all of their power down low, which makes for a good race. The Z's kill zone is 50-55mph in 2nd gear, and then the rapage begins at 120'ish when they go into 4th gear.

When I had my h/c Z, I raced eleventy billion mustangs, so I have a pretty good comparo of virtually any setup. I believe the op's outcomes, but he was fixin to get bent over 100mph. And, honestly...a good driver + tune for the Z and it's a whole new outcome.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
If you were getting him from a 1st gear roll, but then he gets you from a 2nd gear roll at 40, sounds like he needs the driver mod/traction mod. 2nd gear at 40 in a z06 is bad. Him pulling a length there, shows that he has plenty of power at that bad starting point.

It goes both ways, a higher mph roll than the Cobra would've been at a disadvantage, lower mph rolls the Z06 is usually at a disadvantage.

60mph roll the Cobra is at a disadvantage in either 2nd or 3rd, while the Z06 is in it's sweet spot.

40mph roll is the Cobras sweet spot while the Z06 is at a disadvantage in 1st, (traction and almost an immediate shit) or 2nd.

Good kills/death.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
anything in either 1st gear or below 40mph is not ideal for a Z. Cobras/Shelbys make all of their power down low, which makes for a good race. The Z's kill zone is 50-55mph in 2nd gear, and then the rapage begins at 120'ish when they go into 4th gear.

When I had my h/c Z, I raced eleventy billion mustangs, so I have a pretty good comparo of virtually any setup. I believe the op's outcomes, but he was fixin to get bent over 100mph. And, honestly...a good driver + tune for the Z and it's a whole new outcome.

+1

most of the races listed put the vette just shifting into second gear by the end of the race. my z goes to 60mph in 1st, 90mph in 2nd, 120mph in 3rd. 3rd and 4th gear are where the z shines.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
+1

most of the races listed put the vette just shifting into second gear by the end of the race. my z goes to 60mph in 1st, 90mph in 2nd, 120mph in 3rd. 3rd and 4th gear are where the z shines.

Difference in power and weight. I have the 3.27 gears and those are pretty much my gear speeds. However I find my 2nd to be the best and strongest.

Users who are viewing this thread