Cobra Vert Passenger Window Adjustment Problem...

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
How many of you who own '03 Cobra convertibles have the passenger side upper rear corner of the windown "clip" the sewn edge of the top that overhangs the door when you shut the door? Mine has this problem and so has one other vert that I've looked at. Seems as if the factory didn't adjust the upward travel stop when fitting the window.

I had to pull the door panel off, roll the window down and loosen, lower, and re-tighten the stop bolt to solve the problem. To tell if you have this problem, roll the window all the way up and slowly close the door and see if it hits the lip of the convertible top on the upper rear corner of the passenger side window.

So who else has this problem...go look....you might not even know you have it. It WILL wear a hole in the edge of the top eventually if not fixed.....

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by akaeric
Did you still have a warrenty. iIf so use it.

Did you read my post entirely? I fixed it. I'm not going to take this car into the dealer (where it will sit all day) when I can pull of the door panel and fix it myself in under 15 minutes!

I'm wondering how many other vert owners have had or do have this problem.....

Last edited:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
I have this problem. It came about from using a finger lift to install subframes (instead of drive on lift, live and learn).

The technician that installed the subframes pretty much adjusted the window the most he could, but it still rubs.

The solution for my car is to bring it to a place with a drive-on lift, break the welds on the subrames, and then reweld.

PITA!

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by RedfireVert
I have this problem. It came about from using a finger lift to install subframes (instead of drive on lift, live and learn).

Ouch! However, it seems as if there are some verts like mine that came stock with this factory "rub". Any others???...

terminatd

Established Member
Hicompression,

Thanks for the tip. I just ckecked the pass side and the window was slightly hitting the edge enough to damage the top over time. The window adjust was all the way down, so I had to bend the stop slightly, perfect now. Not worth taking to the dealer, I am sure they would screw it up.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Mine does it :(

I have other problems with the top too, might just wait and let them get worse.

I ended up waiting three years on the wife's GT and then letting Ford replace the top under warranty :-D

Did you change how high the window comes up or how far it leans in towards the car?

-Brian

Last edited:

terminatd

Established Member
I adjusted the rear window stop down 1/8th of an inch. I also had the top tightened under warranty. It was loose from the factory and got even worse after a year. It was subbed out to an upholstery shop.

DMCCobra

Established Member
Don't know about the passenger side window, but I was looking at an '03 vert the other day at a dealer and noticed that the rear portion of the driver's side window hit the top when closing the door.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by terminatd
I adjusted the rear window stop down 1/8th of an inch.

I did the same thing. It's an easy fix if you know how to get the door panel off. :)

mkdiehl

Established Member
Mine does this badly. It closes and the window just bows out since it's completely caught on the top. I have to roll down the window anytime the door is closed.

I have been waiting to take it to the dealer. This thread will help my cause...thanks

slth69

Established Member
mine does it too - always has. My top is loose too so it'll be going back to the dealer one way or another.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
I knew this had to be a widespread problem. The above posts prove it. Thanks for the replies.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
I had the same problem. Mine hit very hard on the pass side. Ford replaced the top and all the roof arms. The dealer subbed the job out....

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
:rollseyes :rollseyes

I got it too.... Passenger front window clips the top. The window stop adjustment/bend is the way to go.

:rollseyes :rollseyes

rcrx66

Established Member
Same problem here, but with BOTH rear windows. Dealer made adjustments. The top also doesn't come up evenly, they changed both hudraulic struts and it still did not fix the problem. Looks like they will have to replace the motor. :shrug: So much for a new car.

ObieFox

Established Member
Anyone have a squeek coming from the passenger rear top hinge assembly. I can't really describe it better than that. I have been trying to isolate it without much luck.

Also, I have a spot on the rear roof bar, passenger side, that has 2 small high points printing through the top material. Basically feels like 2 small nail heads about 1 inch apart. I fear that over time whatever is under there may rub through. Anybody else?

BTW, my doors fit great with my top.

Take care,
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread