Cobra values according to KBB

Deric

Established Member
Last year I subscribed to the KBB alerts to let me know when the value of my car changes. I've been following it since April 2014. Today I made a graph that reflects the changes according to KBB. Not that the values depict the true market very accurately, but I think it still trends the same direction in real time. It's interesting to see it in a graphical form to get an idea of how the value is changing.

I made this graph unitless, so its just a simple multiplier. I wonder if it will ever hit 2.0!

This graph is also based on the value of my 2003 DSG w/ 23k miles. Although, I'm sure all Terminators will follow roughly the same line, regardless. If anyone has been folling the updates longer than I have listed, I'd be happy to update the graph to show a larger date range.

In case you're lost, KBB is saying that right now, your car is worth roughly 1.167x it's value 18 months ago. Thats (16.7% more).

value_zpsbe5vu8qg.png

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
pretty amazing how well these cars hold their values compared to other cars out there. Pretty cool chart you came up with and it does seem to follow the market on these cars.

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
I'm having troubles fully understanding what your graph shows. What do you mean by the multiplier? What is it multiplying against? Generally curious cause I like graphs and data.

Deric

Established Member
Rather than put a dollar value on there, which will be different for every car out there, this is unitless. Basically, it shows the value of the car as 1 back in April of 2014. The curve shows fluctuations and gives you a percentage increase/decrease along the curve.

For example:

If your car was worth $19,000 last April, it is currently worth (19000*1.167)=$22,173

or

If your car was worth $26,000 last April, it is currently worth (26000*1.167)=$30,342

I know you guys cant see the exact multiplier values in the image, but I can on my program. It still gives you a general idea to be used for any Terminator. Like I said, if someone has been subscribed to the data longer than I have, Ill make a better graph with more detail.

Deric

Established Member
You can also see that in April 2015, KBB says Terminators were worth only 90% of their value from 12 months ago. However, by May (probably due to spring car sales) values had jumped back up to the same value as 13 month prior. It has been climbing pretty steadily since.

west08

Established Member
Cool graph. Just one suggestion though. Instead of the x-axis being "months since April 2014", it would be easier to analyze the graph if it actually listed the month/ year.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
That is very cool. I like seeing that trend. 2.0 will be sweet to see one day but even seeing it go to 1.5 in the near future would be pretty awesome.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
They base current values on cars that have sold with a verifiable price. One or 2 really nice cars (with a price to match, like at a collector car auction) out of a total sample of 5 cars, will bring values up. One or 2 basket cases next month can bring it down.

Deric

Established Member
Yeah, its almost to 1.2 since last year. I'd like to get data from further back, maybe even back to 2003 if possible. Either way, it's nice to see it on the rise. If you already own one of course.

Users who are viewing this thread