Cobra Taillights too dim?

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
For the second time in a couple of months I was stopped because my taillights aren't visible (daytime) when brakes are on. I have since replaced my stock bulbs with much brighter (I thought) LED's and up close they appear vaguely (according to officer) but at a distance only my CHMSL is visible. Am I alone? Brighter bulbs in my future? She thought it was because of the pinstriping that 'I' added to my taillights...:shrug:

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Let the investigation begin. I've checked them myself (with a broomstick on the brake pedal) and they are bright--in my garage...

stangbear427

Established Member
I've had the same trouble in all my fox bodies. They look bright to me when I check them, but strangers on the road are always telling me at stoplights and stuff that they're out. I've always chalked it up to the crappy Ford electrical system. If you've already beefed up the alternator (stock one isn't big enough anyway) then grounds would be the next bet. Do you have a battery relocation kit? Most of my troubles increased when I did that, running a 2g ground all the way back up to the front helped.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I would start by breaking out the multi-meter and seeing what your voltage is at the bulb connection. If the voltage is good then you know the issue is either with your bulbs or more likely your housing, i.e. adequately reflecting/transmitting the light. If it is a voltage issue then you know the issue is more likely eletrical and you can try to trace it upstream.

FYI - my rears got brighter once I did the following (GT w/ cobra lights):

1. Cleaned the inside of the lenses
2. repainted the silver color in the housing
3. Re-sealed the entire lense
4. Replaced the bulbs

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
Now you mention it, mine got a lot better when I broke them down and cleaned the housings real good too. Also a GT, but Cobra lenses.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Thanks fellas. No battery relocation--probably just dirty lenses. I 'preciate the insight! Stangbear, tks for the ground suggestion!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread