Cobra Swap Tuning Help!!

Beaststang92

Established Member
I just recently swapped a 98 cobra engine in a 97 gt and am using the gt harness and computer and need a tune. I have long tube headers and CAI and full exhaust as well. What i need to kno is what kind of tune do i need, where to get it and whats the best deal i can get? Any help would be very much appreciated im kinda new to all the tuning and jus wanna get the max potential out of my engine with the mods.

01yellercobra

Established Member
A local tuner here charges $350 for a tune if you already have a hand held. I imagine if you don't have a hand help then just add that to the cost.

markw351

Established Member
No American muscle will not tune an engine swap. I tried. I swapped a mach 1 motor into my
2000 2V saleen and used the stock ecu and wiring. Rick at amazon tuning sent me a base 4v tune for my SCT tuner to get the car going safely. Cars runs great. You'll have to do some data logging and e-mail him the files for him to dial the car in. Justin at VMP was also willing to tune it. I don't have a local tuner here though. If I did I would get it tuned on the dyno. I see you're in NC. You're within a short drive of a number of good tuners. I lived in NC for 15 years.

Last edited:

markw351

Established Member
Well, first you'll need a tuning device. SCT handheld. It'll run you $380ish. Never had a dyno tune done so don't know about that. I know I paid $250, I think, for unlimited revisions to my tune from Amazon Tuning. I upgrade anything, I send him a new data file and he adjusts the tune for free. I'd guess you'll pay $500ish for a dyno tune and I don't think you'll get free revisions later. Data file tuning is a little less timely and may not be perfectly dialed in but probably a better deal. My 03 cobra is tuned the same way and Air Fuel is right on and the car made 500rwhp on 91 octane with a ported blower so it's effective.

markw351

Established Member
Here's their dyno tuning pricing from their website:
Dyno Tuning:
$300.00 first hour for existing ATS tuning customers
$499.00 first hour if you have a tuner or chip already
$699.00 first hour/ hand held programmer included
$599.00 first hour/chip included
$150.00 for each additional hour

Not too bad.

Beaststang92

Established Member
Another question i have the cobra harness and computer would it b cheaper jus to slap on the harness ans computer or is their more involved? I heard the PATS is involved but i have a guy who can rewrite it to another key

markw351

Established Member
You won't really be getting everything out of the swap and will still end wanting a tune later anyway. To me...not worth swapping ECUs and harness. I had the mach ecu and harness too. I choose not to use it. PATS would be a problem but fixable.

Beaststang92

Established Member
My biggest issue is money i dnt have $1000 to spend right now and its my DD ive been without a car for about 4 months getting all the the parts together and getting engine i will end up getting a tune later i know i will *cuz im a hp junkie* but i want to have it run right and be dependable till i can get a tune later wen i have the money. Like i said before i dnt have alot of money i jus want the most cost effective way of getting back on the road

Beaststang92

Established Member
Would the car run fine without the tune? I ran it with gt harness and computer and it threw alot of codes some were for misfires *gotta get tune up* and O2 sensors no exhaust* which i wil put back on*. The guys u mentioned above will they be able to send me a base 4v tune for my GT computer and how much would that cost assuming i have SCT tuner?

markw351

Established Member
Yes he will...$250. Call them. Tell them your mods and he'll e-mail you a tune. My car ran with no codes before the tune but I wouldn't drive it that way.

markw351

Established Member
If you have the handheld though as close as they are for $300 you get an hours worth of a dyno session. I'd just give them a call. He can probably custom tune your car in an that hour. I'd bet it will come with unlimited revisions too.

Beaststang92

Established Member
yea i dont wanna drive it without tune, i dont wanna risk it lol. so i could call them tell them i did this swap and send me a tune for my Cobra engine with all my mods Long Tubes Headers, O/R Xpipe, SLP Catback and CAI all in one tune?

Users who are viewing this thread