Cobra swap pulls a gt500

zacmustang03

Established Member
So im just picking my car up from the transmission shop and after driving it for a few mins its feeling really tight good clean shifts, no shimmy or shake I am happy.
I get onto the highway just coming out of town where it goes from 50kph to 90kph and I see a shelby pulling out out at the last set of lights as I go through them. its a silver vert and as soon as he hears me go by in 2nd I watch him in my mirror hit it to catch up. Well I leave my car in 2nd and hold about 70kph (around 40mph) he gets up beside me and before I can signal to him if he wants to make a pull he hits it and pulls out a car. I immediately hit it and he stops pulling now im coming around him pretty good. by the time I shifted 3rd I had a car and a half , two cars on him and he wasn't about to make a comeback. mid way through third he stopped racing I assume.
His car seemed stock nice guy pulls up and goes "your car is ****in fast!!!" I asked him what year his was he replied "2012" so there it is I dont know what the visual differences are between 12 and 13 but id like to try my luck with a 13 one of these days. We exchanged thumbs up and went on our merry way..
Bad news my car developed a trans leak at the tail shaft so I had to return to the shop where we saw the seal between the main housing and tailshaft was dripping. So I am again without my car for a few days. oh well ive got a smile on my face from my short run .

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Nice kill.. what hp you putting down? I ran into a cobra swapped gt on the highway one night and after running deep into 4th gear for me we slowed down and got side by side. He took the hit, I heard his blower screaming and the 'oh ****' light came on. He missed the shift and I was able to pull away. I got to talk to him for about an hour and that's when I found out it was a cobra swap. beautiful red/black vert.

zacmustang03

Established Member
Nice kill.. what hp you putting down? I ran into a cobra swapped gt on the highway one night and after running deep into 4th gear for me we slowed down and got side by side. He took the hit, I heard his blower screaming and the 'oh ****' light came on. He missed the shift and I was able to pull away. I got to talk to him for about an hour and that's when I found out it was a cobra swap. beautiful red/black vert.
ya the run was short so it was hard to tell if he was in the right gear or what not but I havent been driving my car alot lately and was just happy to get a run. hell of a nice vert to.

intermatic

Established Member
Nice kill. I bet it moves out weighing only 3380!
Sucks you developed that leak. It sounds like you'll have it back in no time tho.

zacmustang03

Established Member
Nice kill. I bet it moves out weighing only 3380!
Sucks you developed that leak. It sounds like you'll have it back in no time tho.
thanks!

Ya I pulled it onto the scales taking home. 3380 with me im 215. ive pulled quite a bit of weight out mostly the interior and the wheels and rims .

The leak filled the cab with smoke about ten mins down the road from the shop. It was dripping onto the exhaust and once I got into town again with me in traffic it was quite smokey. lol minor fix. should be up and runnin in a day or two.

my next purchase will be a go pro :)

dead man walkin

Established Member
Visual difference is the taillights, the rear bumper slightly, quad exhaust. Front end is different, oh and under hood 13 and up have 112 more hp stock..

99SSls1

Established Member
If he is stock you two are making the same hp maybe you having more and you weigh less, sounds about right to me. Pulley tune for him and it should be a even race.

zacmustang03

Established Member
If he is stock you two are making the same hp maybe you having more and you weigh less, sounds about right to me. Pulley tune for him and it should be a even race.
ya he said 550 so im thinkin stock thats giving me the advantage in both weight and horsepower as well my gearing was in a good place for that race. he is probably sitting over 4000 with him as well .

BlueSnake01

Established Member
OP is making closer/over 500whp with the port, a pulley tune Cobra would be an even match against a stock 2011/2012 GT500.
He'll probably edge a pulley tune 12 GT500 as well, that weight on him makes quite a difference. His car weights about what a C6 Z06 weights, pretty damn amazing!

Good kill OP! Sounds like a very strong car! Quite the sleeper as well.

mavisky

Established Member
511 and 527 car weights in with me at 3380 now

With a 400lb weight advantage and about 30whp more than he's putting down at stock you probably did come around him at a decent clip. Good run.

2012 GT500 should be 540crank, 480 rwhp or there abouts and should weigh in at the 3750 range without driver if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

zacmustang03

Established Member
OP is making closer/over 500whp with the port, a pulley tune Cobra would be an even match against a stock 2011/2012 GT500.
He'll probably edge a pulley tune 12 GT500 as well, that weight on him makes quite a difference. His car weights about what a C6 Z06 weights, pretty damn amazing!

Good kill OP! Sounds like a very strong car! Quite the sleeper as well.
Thanks! the car made 511 and 527 with the stock plenum and throttle body still. I have an lfp single blade in the trunk with the plenum to put on next time I can get it on the dyno. I am very happy with the car it pulls incredibly hard up top.

zacmustang03

Established Member
With a 400lb weight advantage and about 30whp more than he's putting down at stock you probably did come around him at a decent clip. Good run.

2012 GT500 should be 540crank, 480 rwhp or there abouts and should weigh in at the 3750 range without driver if I recall correctly.
ya this was a vert to which I think are heavier correct?

Users who are viewing this thread