Cobra running rich and bad idle after clutch swap

04cobruh

Established Member
hey guys, did some searching with no answers.
just did a clutch and flywheel swap on my 04. Got everything all buttoned up and went for the initial start up.
Let the car warm up and idle for about 10 minutes. It was running very rich and was jumping from 600-800rpm almost non stop. Went underneath the car checked all wires and everything is plugged in. Nothing was pinched or melted. No check engine light came on, even scanned it for a code with no code being thrown? Reset the ecu and tried it again. It ran ok for about a minute or two before going back to where It was earlier. Totally stumped here. Any suggestions or answers?
Thanks

Last edited:

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
I know you checked, but I would double and triple check that you didn't miss a connector or pinch an O2 wire. How do you know for sure that you're running rich? Wideband?

04cobruh

Established Member
I will Triple check underneath. You can actually see the thick smoke coming out of the tailpipes. I've never smelt it run this way before. Even with the catted x pipe.

04cobruh

Established Member
Ok well i checked everything out again. appears that a damn wire up on top of the trans got pinched. Don't know how, but at least I figured it out. dropping the trans again tomorrow and fixing the said damaged wire.
thanks for the tips guys.
Hopefully my next post will be about how its fixed and all good to go again!

then my next thread will be a review on my Fidanza flywheel, CF DF clutch, and Steeda Adj cable.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Happend to me once feel your pain...make sure you solder not crimp and use a nice tape and or heat shrink, decent amount of heat there.

You can also the 02 harnesses mixed up from left to right.

toomanytoys

Established Member
The car won't throw a code right away. If you drove it like that for a while then scanned it you would have seen a code or at least one pending

04cobruh

Established Member
So I lowered the trans mount and found out that the main wiring harness and not "clicked" into place.
after making sure it was secure I fired it up and the problem was solved. thanks for the input all!!!

Users who are viewing this thread