Cobra Roller

mattmynhier

Established Member
So I found a salvaged titled 03 cobra in North Carolina. I was thinking of possibly making a drag car with it. It's in pretty good shape a little body work and a few other things needed. Some of the electronics are missing from theft including the instrument cluster.
So that leads me to the main question. If I buy a cluster off of eBay would that work to get it started and running? Or is there a process with PATS and a bunch of other crap?
Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member
Key, cluster and pcm must match. If not pats must be turned off in the computer, or the dealer can probably reprogram all the mismatched parts.

mattmynhier

Established Member
Thx a bunch. What's the disadvantages of disabling pats? Can it be turned back on? What mileage will show on the cluster? Is it stored on the cluster or computer on car?

Thanks a bunch

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cj428mach

Established Member
Mileage is stored in a "chip" thats on the cluster, that "chip" also stores the PATS information needed to make the car start.

The down sides to PATS being turned off is the car can be stolen easier, and the PATS light will always be active during the car running. You can remove the bulb for the PATS though. The good news is the car will never suffer from the PATS failing and the car not starting.

If you turn pats back on the car won't start, it can be turned on and off with a simple tune change. So if you have it retuned it can be reactived.

mattmynhier

Established Member
So if I have my tune done with pats turned off I can just plug the cluster in and it will start?

mattmynhier

Established Member
Man the more I think about it that just seems like ford made it too easy to manipulate mileage.
What would stop someone from buying a cluster from a junker and saving their original one with low miles...

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I believe it takes 4 things to make it all work .
Cluster , computer , key , and the ring around the key .
All of those have to sync , to make the car start .
About a hundred dollars at the dealer .

cj428mach

Established Member
Man the more I think about it that just seems like ford made it too easy to manipulate mileage.
What would stop someone from buying a cluster from a junker and saving their original one with low miles...

Its a better system then what car manufactures use to have which is nothing. Prior to PATS you could swap any cluster you wanted into your car and it would work.
Back in the 4th gen Fbody days everyone wanted a digital cluster or a Trans Am cluster you could just swap them into your car and whatever mileage that was on the cluster is what was displayed. Nothing else required other than swapping clusters.

Users who are viewing this thread