Cobra R Half Shaft Breakage?

Lightning Bob

Established Member
Hey guys,

I broke a half shaft on my stock 99 Cobra at E-town last night. As I am out east to get boost installed on it, I need to know how the R axles are holding up. I would prefer to upgrade to the R axles if you guys who are drag racing your 2000 Cobra R's are able to keep them in the cars. Otherwise the IRS is gonna come out. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Lightning Bob

1999 Lightning
12.47@108
1999 Cobra coupe
13.44@105

Cobra-R

Established Member
Bob,
I havn't heard of anybody having problems with the halfshafts on the R's. Most of us don't drag the cars very often, but I believe we have the shafts that most Mustang guys are upgrading too.

brian

JoeJ

Established Member
Lightning Bob,

I have a 2000 Cobra R which I changed out the Gerodisc due to one wheel burning. I installed a Torsen T-2R with 4.10 gears. Because the Cobra R has unequal length half shaft I had to change them out. Ford recommended that I use the new 2001 Cobra halfshalfs because they were equal length and were 31 spline. However, Ford was unable to furnish due to production requirements. I went direct to GKN who builds the shafts for Ford. They built me two new shafts of higher strength than the 2001 shafts and they had upgraded CV joints.
Talk to Steve Davis with GKN: Ph 1-800-458-4418. His e-mail address is as follows: [email protected]

I know he can fix you up. It is more expensive than the Ford halfshafts but they will live.

Later

BRIMSTONE

JoeJ,

How ya like the 4.10's? Running smooth and relatively quiet? Can you still drive on the street without peeling out at every stoplight?

I think I will go your route in the future. The 00R would put much more of a beating on the halfshafts than a 01 Cobra would, so they should be stronger.

So how much did it all cost you? You can email me at [email protected] if you don't want to announce it publicly. Thanks, Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread