Cobra R emissions ?

gearhead69

Established Member
Hello everyone, I tried the search option and google with no luck so I apologize in advance if I missed the answer to my question. I have a 94 Cobra with 200K on her that I want to put a 351w in. I have gathered most parts for the swap. I have a GT40 lower and planned on using my upper. I have the Hooker headers that Summit states is for a 95 Cobra R, but they do not have an egr bung. I thought about deleting the egr anyway but was just curious as to what setup the R model used being they are emissions/street legal. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ruslow

Established Member
All the 'r' s had to meet emmissions if sold,and in CA then CARB.long tubes with or w/out bung are NOT emmission legal unless they have a CARB number.Non functioning egr or air system will not meet standards and to be really correct you will need the calibration from the 'r' eec which is VERY diff from the stock cobra computer.Stan

gearhead69

Established Member
Thank you for the reply. The headers I have are hooker shorties and Summit lists the fitment as 95 Cobra R, but there is no egr bung. So I was just wondering if the R models used the same egr type setup as the regular cobras or something different. I can always have the egr bung added to the headers. Just couldn't find any info to clarify the setup. Thanks again.

Ruslow

Established Member
Well yes and no,the egr system is the same[external pipe for exhaust]but the tube that connects the header pipe to the egr is unique to the r or S351 saleen.Stan

gearhead69

Established Member
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. Is the midpipe unique to the R model as well or the same as the regular cobra? I currently have both an off road pipe as well as a catted pipe. I switch back and forth occasionally. The cats really kill the exhaust note, but my car will pass the sniff test even with the off road pipe. It just fails the visual.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. Is the midpipe unique to the R model as well or the same as the regular cobra? I currently have both an off road pipe as well as a catted pipe. I switch back and forth occasionally. The cats really kill the exhaust note, but my car will pass the sniff test even with the off road pipe. It just fails the visual.

In the Dearborn document below, the last item in the picture "H-Pipe" is listed as a Carry-Over item from the regular production Cobra.

Picture967-5.gif

I do not have my complete set of 95R Dearborn build documents readily available, but I looked through what I have on Photobucket and noticed that this one shows the exhaust related part you are asking about. The document pictured may also be an early info. document and there was a change, I don't have my paperwork in front of me, but it does not say "TBD" (To Be Determined), so I would guess that it was already determined that the Carry-Over would fit?

R

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I am running those same headers on my car. Nice pieces.

The EGR tube is run in the same fashion as a GT for 95. The tube is longer to account for the extra deck height.

One item I will warn you about is the flange where they bolt to the head is very healthy. If you look closely, one end of the flange will hit on the last head bolt and will not allow the headers to properly tighten down. I have two blown header gaskets to prove this issue.

The mid pipe is the same as a GT. The headers were made longer so the normal GT exhaust could be used on the assembly line.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread