Cobra R detail

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Love following this thread nmp1. 00R's are just plain SEXY!

You are a trusting soul though... I just did a tire swap on my Shelby and I didn't trust the local shop with the car. I spent a long time raising the car and getting it on stands in my garage. I then removed the wheels and took them in sans car to have the swap done. Once I get a lift soon, this process will be MUCH easier.

nmp1

Established Member
thanks goose i tried to make this thread both interesting and inspiring.

the guy that did the work is a good friend of mine and he was very careful with the car. he put new clean rags on all the jack pads and was very careful with the rims when using the tire machine. he cleaned the tire balance adapters and used a torque wrench when putting the wheels back on the car. if i didnt have him to do it i would have done the same as you, just bring in the wheels in and pray they dont screw them up. he knows im crazy about my cars and knows how the original wheels are almost impossible to find.

he works at a ford dealer and ironically he told me that one of the other local ford dealers had a 00R in the other day. as he was telling me this one of the guys was walking up from the rear bays and i saw him do a double take and his eyes lit up and came over with a huge smile. i was taking pictures of the undercarriage and he couldn't believe how clean it was so i explained everything i had done this week and showed him this thread.

nmp1

Established Member
Wheels and Wheel wells - total time approx. 7 hours

wheels-
poorboys spray and rinse wheel cleaner
poorboys iron remover
mother clay bar kit
3m rubbing compound (for heavy spots)
pinnacle swirl remover and finishing polish
mckee's 37 wheel coating

wheel wells and suspension-
chemical guys bare bones undercarriage spray

tires-
pinnacle black onyx tire gel

IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3534.JPG

IMG_3535.JPG

IMG_3536.JPG

IMG_3537.JPG

IMG_3538.JPG

IMG_3539.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

IMG_3544.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG

nmp1

Established Member
gave the car a thorough wash today and wiped it down with detail spray. it needs some paint correction so i went to the local detailer to have him take a look and see what he thinks. he said it needs a 2 step paint correction to take out all the imperfections (swirls, water stains, a blemishes from the previous owner having a cover on it.) he quoted me $1350 to do the car and apply a ceramic coat of protectant. i may not do it right away but ill keep it in mind.
IMG_3558.JPG
IMG_3557.JPG

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Professional paint correction is really worth it. Have had it done to all of our cars.

nmp1

Established Member
Professional paint correction is really worth it. Have had it done to all of our cars.

I completely agree. He has a nice portfolio and I have no doubt he does great work, I'm just mentally preparing myself to spend that kind of money.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Agreed. Hard to get past that part. It's gets easier after, and you see the results, and also getting over the thought that you could have done it your self. The pros make it look easy, but it's an art, that takes years to master.

Goose17

Established Member
I have done my own correction on many of my vehicles. I typically start with 3000 grit foam-backed wet sandpaper on an orbital buffer and then transition to compounds on an orange pad: medium, fine and swirl remover followed by polish. The end results are mirror-like and the 3000 grit foam-backed wet sandpaper is not too aggressive that you have to worry about burning through the clear.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
^^^ Nice way to steal the OP's thunder with your "I.. ME.." mentality!
Well done!
Post a pic of your Puerto Rican Minnie Pearl modded Shelby so we can all get a laugh..

Goose17

Established Member
nmp1, I posted the above video links for you to use in the 00R channel if you'd like.

Glad you made a channel! Thanks for doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread