Cobra "R" brake pads

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ok Cobra "R" track maniacs, What kind of brake pads are you guys running?

I'm looking into the upgrade going to the floating front rotors on my "R" and want to have some spare brake pads on hand and was wondering what you all have found to be the best pads for road courses, (big and small) autocross, and street use. I'm finding the choices are quite numerous and was wondering if I could get some feedback from all of you.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated
:coolman: :thumbsup: :D :rolling:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by AV8R
Street pads correct? And do they throw off less dust than the stock pads?

Hawk is the brand, Blues is the grade of pad for lack of a better word. Hawks come in:
1, HPS (street pad)
2, Plus Higher grade street pad
3, black (all purpose pad)
4, blues Race (race pad)
5, HT10 (severe duty racing)

I know the blues dust, but they shouldn't be used on the street anyways. Not sure about dusting with the rest. I thought I may try a set of the HT10's for the track this year just to compare, but they do get kinda pricy.

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Brian:

I heard the Hawk Blue's are pretty dang hard on rotors. At $300.00 a pop for rotors, I think I would be willing to try some alternatives if that really is the case.

I'm sure there is a lot of choices and many personal preferences regarding this issue.

Thanks for the input!! :-D :thumbsup: :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
Brian:

I heard the Hawk Blue's are pretty dang hard on rotors. At $300.00 a pop for rotors, I think I would be willing to try some alternatives if that really is the case.

I'm sure there is a lot of choices and many personal preferences regarding this issue.

Thanks for the input!! :-D :thumbsup: :beer:

Hawk blues are very hard on rotors if you use them on the street cold. They are good on the track when they have heat in them. Same thing with dusting, they will dust much worse when they are not up to temp. I change rotors when I start seeing cracks in them from heat stress, at that point you cannot even feel a lip on the rotors.
Net effect, if you use blues on the track, take them off for the street.

Brian

kevin

ditto brian.

i've had the same rotors and hawk blues for two seasons on tracking (only). still have quite a bit left. however, i will put new pads on only because pads (like tires) dry out and therefore reduce the effectiveness.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Ditto - Brian and Kevin

I have always used Hawk Blues on the track and plan to in the future. I've never had rotor or pad wear issues with them. I would consider partially blocking off your brake cooling hoses though if the temp is pretty low. They seem to really like the heat.

Also - I have a couple of set of street pads that I need to get rid of since my new car will not have the R Brembo kit on it. They are used but only for a very short time and no track time at all. I have a set of original Galphers (sp?) and a set of Hawk HPS pads. The HPS pads are $100 from Maximum Motorsports and I have no idea what a set of Galphers would cost. I would like $70 a set or $125 for both. The prices include shipping.

I also have a set of race pads for sale. They are made by Carbotech and they are the Panther XP compound. I never got a chance to try them out because the Blues lasted longer than anticipated. They were highly recommended by several AI east compeditors because they were very rotor friendly. They seem to have a very broad heat range. http://www.carbotecheng.com/prod-ct-compounds.htm I believe they were $159 + shipping. I would take $140 shipping if anyone is interested.

My email is [email protected]

Last edited:

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
I have a question about the rotors. I want to go with some slotted rotors front and back that are the same size as the stock rotors. Just wanted to know what my options are on brands and also the advantages/disadvantages of going with a 2 piece rotor vs a sinle slotted rotor.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
so dean, what pads will you be using?

Kevin,
I purchase a 993TT Porsche conversion. Compared to the Race Brembo kit, I saved over a grand and the rotors are Alcon. I think I will stay with the Hawk Blues for now but I want to try their HT10 compound too. Here is a picture of the setup but I will not be getting the drilled for obvious reasons.

mustang-322.jpg

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Some of you guys mentioned the addition of the Brembo 2 pc rotors which is a full floating design which is much better than the Eradispeed solid mount design. If you want to save quite abit of money (not paying for the Brembo name), take a look at this post.
http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6049

You can get replacement rotors cheaper and in any configuration you want.:thumbsup:

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR
Also - I have a couple of set of street pads that I need to get rid of since my new car will not have the R Brembo kit on it. They are used but only for a very short time and no track time at all. I have a set of original Galphers (sp?) and a set of Hawk HPS pads. The HPS pads are $100 from Maximum Motorsports and I have no idea what a set of Galphers would cost. I would like $70 a set or $125 for both. The prices include shipping.

I also have a set of race pads for sale. They are made by Carbotech and they are the Panther XP compound. I never got a chance to try them out because the Blues lasted longer than anticipated. They were highly recommended by several AI east compeditors because they were very rotor friendly. They seem to have a very broad heat range. http://www.carbotecheng.com/prod-ct-compounds.htm I believe they were $159 + shipping. I would take $140 shipping if anyone is interested.

My email is [email protected]

BTW - The pads are sold. :beer:

JoeJ

Established Member
I am running the Performance Friction 01 pads on the front of the Cobra R and Performance Friction 90 on the rear. They seem to do real well without tearing up the two piece Brembro rotors.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeJ
I am running the Performance Friction 01 pads on the front of the Cobra R and Performance Friction 90 on the rear. They seem to do real well without tearing up the two piece Brembro rotors.

Joe,
How has the two piece rotors been wearing for you? Are you still on the original set of rotors?

Brian

kevin

Originally posted by JoeJ

joe, i'm running the 01 compund pf's on the front and rear starting this year on my race car (was 93 front, 83 rear.) i will be going to pf on the r starting with the new season

JoeJ

Established Member
Brian,

I am on my second set of rotors on the two piece Brembo's. I was getting some heat cracks on the first set. The second set seems to be doing well.

Andy M

Established Member
I am running PF97 pads in front on a new set of Brembo slotted two piece rotors, and PF90 pads in the rear on a new set of Porterfield slotted rotors. This is my track setup.

For street use, I run Porterfield brand high performance street pads. Doesn't tear up the rotors as much as the PF pads. They don't ever get hot enough on the street.

Boy, they sure were working well at TWS last Thursday. Had absolutely no brake fade even after repeated hard braking.

Users who are viewing this thread