Cobra R #181 information and questions

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Actually, the killer app for getting each wheel un stuck...was a really hard boot (kick) to the tire. Popped it right loose :D Sometimes brute force is required as opposed to finesse.

Literally, the shock force at the edge of the tire, using the wheel as a fulcrum, was what worked. Now I just need to clean things up to ensure it doesn't happen again.

A skosh is only a tad larger than a smidge...but still much smaller than a dab :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
A skosh is only a tad larger than a smidge...but still much smaller than a dab :)

I understand. ;-) I gave a skosh on another car. This was my car after it happened:

65VIR-2.jpg

JoeAsheville

Established Member
That looks like "one a them racin deals". It also looks like an expensive repair...one of the reasons why I'm exclusively interested in SOLO...!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Established Member
I have a hood prop just like that one. You can use it to keep the car from rolling too. Sorry about the front end though

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
That looks like "one a them racin deals". It also looks like an expensive repair...one of the reasons why I'm exclusively interested in SOLO...!

I actually spent $2000 to get it fixed with non-Ford parts (legal re-stamped parts). I had to do most of the work.

**Any track event is dangerous to your car.** Nothing here is covered under a standard insurance policy once you enter a track event. The Solo thing is a track event.

That is why that I recommended the Six Gaps. It's insured with any full coverage policy as it is driving on the street. The collector policy has lower rates (read the contract).

There is nothing like a few trips on Six Gaps to get a guy to understand the early exits and late exits. My best advice is slow in and fast out.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a hood prop just like that one. You can use it to keep the car from rolling too. Sorry about the front end though.

It's not a problem. ;)

1)It was determined that I was not at fault. The guy in front of me had a mechanical problem. Vintage racing requires that the guys involved must report to the Competition Director immediately.

I got a beer (allowed) and reported to the Tower. The corner workers agreed with my opinion. They didn't penalize me.

2) While I was up in the Tower, my friends were trying to get the car ready for the next session. I got back and oil was pouring out of the oil cooler. My weekend was over.

I was leading the cheating Pontiacs and the cheater Porsche 914's at the time:
VIR2.jpg

It's a lot of fun and worth every dollar spent.

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Blow off sound could be a vacuum line leak/dryrot crack, my advice is to start teching the car, start at the top, work you way down to the chassis, then from front to back. Fuel lines, brake lines, radiator hoses, belts, etc and so forth.

Bill, you were right. In the course of inspection, I discovered a completely rotten vacuum line that pulls from under the upper intake. It's essentially open to atmosphere. It leads to what appears to be an electrically actuated vacuum solenoid, which then leads to another vacuum line that disappears into the unit body behind the passenger side fender. It's amazing to me that I haven't noticed the normal symptoms of a gross vacuum leak other than the noise between shifts. It will be interesting to see how differently the car runs once I can find time to completely replace it...I have to trace the line that seems to go through the firewall and into the area behind the glove box. There's not a lot of room to work in this area.

The blend doors in the HVAC that are operated by engine vacuum are currently non-op, this may be one of the culprits.

6b955e05ff86ebae67958a6bbf2abb8b.jpg

869c94343bd1f898a68e38d245e50c12.jpg

Last edited:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Joe,

It's almost as if I've done this (that) before :lol1:

Expect a few more to be on the verge of failure, replace the difficult to get to ones now (save the original lines in a plastic ziplock bag for the next owner to restore the car properly :D ) and be done with it.

Bill S.

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Yep, it's a guarantee that just about every hose on this car will need replacement 20 years after production.

The doodad in the picture that I'm holding turns out to be a "Canister Purge Solenoid", or CANP in EEC-IV nomenclature. I'm not getting a CEL/SES light, so at least the ECU isn't having to compensate too much. It's just an emissions related item, but it is causing a large vacuum leak. For the benefit of others, the part number for the CANP is E4TF-9C915-AA. The line that disappears into the inner fender is actually leading to the charcoal canister. In order to replace that vacuum line, the passenger's side front fender inner liner has to be removed.

Needless to say, that's something to tackle another day...I'll be at the Mitty in the morning.

Last edited:

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Once I fixed the vacuum line, the adaptive learning went haywire...I had to clear the KAM and re-set the strategy for the new vacuum level (same as stock). It now idles happily at 750.

Lo and behold, the dash vacuum was also restored and now the mix, floor, and defrost functions work properly.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

Needless to say, that's something to tackle another day...I'll be at the Mitty in the morning.

Joe,
Good job on your repairs.

I never saw your car at the Mitty. I was looking for it. I was there Fri, Sat, and Sunday. It was a weekend of fast racing (a damn production old Camaro was doing 1:34's which would qualify him mid-pack in the Cam-Am Group).

It was a weekend of a few unfortunate incidents. They flew out the Cam-Am guy who hit the wall at T-12 Saturday morning (throttle stuck). Thankfully, he regained consciousness at the hospital. He suffered a broken back, two broken arms, and two broken legs.

Another friend got hit by a Ferrari which broke his leg. He works on cars for a living. They need to get these cars under control.

The better news is the #82 of 250 1995 Cobra R (a former Steeda race car) got a well deserved top 10 finish. It's race number is #105.

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Hi Doc, I got there just as they were airlifting the T12 victim. I spent most of the day on Saturday at the far end of the track, away from the yahoos.

At the same time as the airlift, someone broke at turn 7. I lent him my tools for repair, but he still wound up on the rollback. The same guy broke at the same exact place, next heat. He was not well prepared.

Another guy's left front suspension broke at turn 6...no contact.

I saw numerous incidents at turns 6 and 7, where drivers just divebombed each other and punted their fellow racer off the track. Very unsportsmanlike conduct.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with the level of race prep and driver training that weekend. Too many cars breaking, too many drivers crashing into one another.

It will be a while before I return to the Mitty. Meanwhile, I'll be participating in SCCA events.

I spotted #105...he/she did quite well.

a9f141e31845fef04049682661297eaf.jpg

3f917de283af6baf058c97dc0886a818.jpg

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Joe,
The #105 95R car did well (it's #82 0f 250). The current owner placed the car well in the top ten in Group 5. The winner was faster in a sports racer car. They mix sport racer cars with production cars.

Nonetheless, Harry was very fast in his car. I think that I can do ~ ~almost close to that in my street car.

Users who are viewing this thread