Cobra Quandary...Need Opinions...

What should I do?

• Sell the GT; keep the coupe and vert.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • You only live once. Keep all three.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Sell the vert and wait for an '05 GT.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Stiffen up the vert's chassis and re-evaluate.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I wish I had your problems.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • 03DOHC is my favorite moderator!

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Here's my quandary. I bought an '03 Cobra back in June 2002. I had it on order for 3 months. Love the car....best damn car I have ever owned.

Fast forward two years.....I belong to the local SVT owners association here in DFW. Recently, they had a couple of '03 Cobra Convertibles on the lot and were offering 5K off to SVT club members. Well....I knew I could get them down even more. To make a long story short, I ended up purchasing a DSG Cobra Vert for $32,600. Not a bad deal IMO.

Here's the deal (and a lot of you people would love to be in my situation ....I'm sure). I now have three mustangs! A 1990 GT, 2003 Cobra Coupe, and a 2003 Cobra Vert. I'm waffling on offloading the Vert. I've been driving it and I DO NOT like the looseness of the chassis. It has a lot of front end cowl shake. I'ts been likened to a "wet noodle" chassis. After driving my '03 coupe and then driving the vert, it is really noticeable.

Right now I have an offer of 30K on the vert. I've had it for a month. I can flip it for a loss. I really don't want to get rid of my '90 GT but I don't need 3 mustangs. I'm not strapped for cash but I did like the feeling of having no car payment...now I'm back in that same hole again.

What would you do? Keep all three and try to stiffen up the car (Ideas?) or offload it. I haven't performed any mods yet, and it's killing me....but I need to make sure I want to keep it before I start altering it.

Input, Comments, Advice? Sure would appreciate it.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
The '01 'vert I traded in felt more solid than the '04 coupe I have now. The '01 had the full kenny brown extreme matrix set, STB, springs, C/C plates, upgraded shocks & struts & the car felt like it was on rails, IMO.

Venix

Venomous Productions
Established Member
once u go vert u cant go back....its just not possible.

99cobraclone

Established Member
You have quite a coupe on your hands so hold on to that one definitely, I think there are only 452 mineral grays. I would say that if you feel the car payment is too much then ditch it.

gatzer

Established Member
Keep the vert and GT. Sell the coupe. I love my vert and could never go back to a coupe. Especially on those nice summer nights cruising with the top down and the coupes have their ac on.

And oh yeay transfer the mods to the vert.:rockon:

Last edited:

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobraclone
You have quite a coupe on your hands so hold on to that one definitely, I think there are only 452 mineral grays. I would say that if you feel the car payment is too much then ditch it.

Yep. The coupe is #85 of 8,000+. I would find it extremely hard to part with.

SMOKE

Old School ROUSH
Established Member
I agree, with most. Stiffen the vert and enjoy all three. :)

Opinion (take it for what it's worth)
Even though you're making a car payment again, in the end you'll have 3 vehicles to haggle with it you're inclined to pick up a newer Cobra. Otherwise, you'll absorb the loss and be down a car.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Sell the Vert and get a Z06. I would love to be able to have my Coupe and a Z06. That way I can dump all my money into my Cobra and drive the beater Z06 daily! :)

oh and verts are for women or old men with no hair! lol. that should stir up some shit. j/k

Last edited:

Weasel

Established Member
Stiffen up the vert/re-evaluate. I personally don't know how effective the chassis-stiffening mods are (others here can comment) with respect to getting it up to the coupe level but it seems to me that the amount of money spent won't approach the $2,600 loss/month you'd take if you sold it. Every once in a while it'd be great to drive a vert. If I could afford it, I'd do the same.

Mike

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by drkchk03svt
oh and verts are for women or old men with no hair! lol. that should stir up some shit. j/k

Actually...I'm finding that chicks really dig the vert. I get more looks in the vert than I ever get in the coupe. I'm 32 and have all my hair. :beer:

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by Weasel
Stiffen up the vert/re-evaluate.....the amount of money spent won't approach the $2,600 loss/month you'd take if you sold it.
Mike

$258 for the Extreme Matrix subs and $150 to install.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Keep the Fox and keep the Vert. Sell the coupe. For about a year and a half, I had my 01 Cobra Vert and a 91 GT. If you sell the Fox, you will miss it... if you sell the Vert, you will miss it. I wished to have a newer coupe, but ended up selling the 91 for a Ranger 4wd cause I live up here in northern Illinois where it is April 27th and I am still wearing friggin stocking caps to keep warm!!! Oh sorry, didn't mean to rant.. stupid weather!!!

If you sell the coupe, you still have a the GT for hardtop driving and the 03 Vert for cruising and supercharging!!!!

My .015 cents.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
If money's not an issue sell the coupe and the 90, get a Z06, and have a sweet hard top and a vert.

coleman

Established Member
if money isn't too much of a concern:

sell the GT
stiffen the new cobra vert with SFCs
and start modifying the cobra coupe a little

use the vert for your daily driver.
oh, and move the joystick handle over to the GT before you sell it :lol1:

stvdman

Established Member
Trade to Vert to me, you know you want a 10th Ann coupe to go with your other 03 Coupe. ;)

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
oh, and move the joystick handle over to the GT before you sell it :lol1:

LMAO!....inside joke. Love that handle (Hurst Pistol Grip aka "The Atari")....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread