COBRA PROBLEM

cobraondarun

Established Member
Hey guys i am new to this site but i have been on stangnet for a while. I have a 1997 steeda cobra with exhaust mods x pipe no cats, and flowmasters. i have a short shifter which i don't know what brand since it came when i bought the car, but my shifter works fine in all the gears, except reverse its like it has a hard time going in once in a while and sometimes it pops out of reverse and makes a grinding noise. There are 2 solutions IMO either i am an ass and can't do it right, or something is wrong with it. Plus at jiffy lube they told me my rear differential was leaking, could that be a problem. i will be grateful for any advice:thumbsup:

White98SVT

Established Member
Well if your Cobra is a "Steeda" like you say then it should be a Tri- Ax shifter. From what you're describing, sounds just like what my tranny was doing before it went out:fm:

cobraondarun

Established Member
well i bought it from maroone and the sales guy said he was not sure what shifter it was but that the previous car has sent the car to steeda and had the whole g trac done and it has alot of steeda emblems pedals steeda banner on side and gtrac sticker above the cobra emblem along with the steeda wing. so if its a steeda shifter i am not sure a friend of mine said it was a hurst short shifter but i don't trust him too much. how much did it cost to fix ur tranny when it went bad?

White98SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by cobraondarun
well i bought it from maroone and the sales guy said he was not sure what shifter it was but that the previous car has sent the car to steeda and had the whole g trac done and it has alot of steeda emblems pedals steeda banner on side and gtrac sticker above the cobra emblem along with the steeda wing. so if its a steeda shifter i am not sure a friend of mine said it was a hurst short shifter but i don't trust him too much. how much did it cost to fix ur tranny when it went bad?

More than likely it's a Steeda Tri-Ax if they sent it to Steeda, it usually comes with the package they offer.

To fix that tranny problem which was broken shift forks......the solution was a new tranny. Which luckily for me was just under the factory warranty. I'd get it checked out before you get stranded.

blacksnake1960

Established Member
well my car did the same thing and it still does it from time to time. My tranny hasnt gone out and I have had the car since 98. I asked the Ford guys and they say it was typical for that tranny BW(T-45)

White98SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by blacksnake1960
well my car did the same thing and it still does it from time to time. My tranny hasnt gone out and I have had the car since 98. I asked the Ford guys and they say it was typical for that tranny BW(T-45)

Typical if it's one of the Borg Warner's. Not sure if you know, but half or so of the 98's used the Borg Warner trannies. Those are known to be crap. Broken shift forks were common causing many if not all to be replaced with the T-45. During 98 I believe it was, Tremec bought out Borg Warner. I'd look on the side of your tranny and see which one you have...no matter what they say, it's not typical unless something is broken.

Synopsis: Borg Warner 98 trannies are garbage.:cuss:

cobraondarun

Established Member
thanks guys i will do that i just bought this car august 02 and so far i have had no problems, i am gonna find out about the tranny before i add any more mods to the car.

White98SVT

Established Member
thanks guys i will do that i just bought this car august 02 and so far i have had no problems, i am gonna find out about the tranny before i add any more mods to the car.

Got pics? I'd like to see it.

cobraondarun

Established Member
right now i don't have any available but by 2morrow i will, cuz my cousin is coming over with his digital camera. the car is pretty bad ass its the red with 2 solid black stripes down the middle with the steeda banner on the side and the steeda wing it was love at first site. Plus i wanted to change cars cuz i previously had a civic along with the rest of my friends and now i stand apart from them all i say is "here is no replacement for displacement" now my friend with his 03 v6 accord wants to run. its a 6 speed. waste of my gas i belive but hey its fun.will get pics up soon

cobraondarun

Established Member
i am gonna send some old pics now that i took at the FIU football field they are not too good quality but its a starter

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
before u put it in reverse go up on 5th gear and bring it down to reverse ...mine also grinds str8 into reverse my old 5.0 did the same thing and cousin has hed two 99GT's that did it and a 99 cobra try it let me know...

cobraondarun

Established Member
i tried that today going to 5th firdt thne to reverse it worked perfect. Why is that? is it a factory defect?

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
yeah every mustang ive been in has done it...glad it worked and u didnt spend any money!!:thumbsup: now u have more cash for more mods!!:burn:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
i tried that today going to 5th firdt thne to reverse it worked perfect. Why is that? is it a factory defect?

Nope just bad reverse lock outs. ALOT of t-5's and t-45's do this. It is no biggie. As long as it isn't doing it in any other gears don't sweat it.

cobraondarun

Established Member
Thanks alot guys u have all been really helpful and kool in answering all my questions. Sorry if some are dumb this is my first mustang that i bought, and i hope to one day be as knowledgeable as all u guys!

Users who are viewing this thread