Cobra ported blower 2.93/4# VS new C6 Z06

Who should win (lets just say 1/4 mile)

• Total voters

Steve Gunn

Established Member
Pegilyn said:
So could it beat a 10sec cobra?There are plenty of 10 and low 11sec cobras and f bodys out there.Heck theres even a 10sec srt4 now.It just depends how you mod your car.One would think with all your mods you would know that more than most! :poke:

Maybe I'm just bias :)

Maybe I missed something. The original poster has this in his sig- Best ET 12.13@117mph 12.17@117mph 1.94 60'
Maybe I should read all 12,000 posts in this thread before commenting ;-)
But even if the Cobra has 60-80 more rwhp, is that enough to offset the weight diff? I'm also not sure that just 1/4 mile times were the criteria. Can all 10 second track cars do that on the street? Are all races a 1/4 mile? So many factors...
There is a local guy in a C6 Z06 that got waxed by a 460 rwhp Cobra, so anything can happen. Drivers and traction being the same, I'll still give it to the Z overall.

I'll revise my last post...
For a brief moment in time, the Cobra might hang with the Z....

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member

11.40....i do have a 2.80 not a 2.93 but that makes little difference..but no port and those are my numbers. Click on my link to see the slip.

I am happy that it will be a close race. There isn't much out there that can beat a pullied cobra let alone a pulleyed and ported one.

Any kind of racing takes some driver expertise, but track times vary much more than 1/4 mile times. Driver ability comes much more into play on the street or at Auto X. To me IMOP the drag strip is the best place...besides on the street you rarely have more than a 1/4 strip to race someone anyway...well at least here in the NE! lol

ANYWAY...

ANYONE WITH A NEW Z06!!! I WILL BE AT ETOWN EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT THAT ITS NICE OUTSIDE OR UNTIL IT GETS TOO HOT... LOOK FOR THE YELLOW COBRA. Ill race you! and then we can come post about it!

WDW MKR

Established Member
silvercoffin said:
snip...
I am happy that it will be a close race. There isn't much out there that can beat a pullied cobra let alone a pulleyed and ported one.
...snip

You're referring to stock cars, right?

WDW MKR

Established Member
YELL03 said:
Next Phase -

I would keep it stock. Well amybe slap a catback on it as it sounds lame like all other Vettes stock.

The C6 Z06 sounds pretty wicked when the baffles open at WOT.

YELL03

Established Member
Yes, but at normal cruising it sounds lame, just like my C6 used to before the B&B Bullets, now it sounds like a REAL V8 when cruising and Downright BADAZZ at WOT! :rockon:

Howard

silvercoffin

Established Member
oh boy

:poke: "stock cars" yeah right... no.... I am referring to everyone that is at Englishtown on Friday racing. There are very few cars running in the mid-low 11s... but this argument is silly because I have seen lots of cars that should be if the drivers knew how to drive or if they had DRs or IF they could get the traction to the ground...or IF they could wind up the turbo just right and not get lag or IF..

IF IF IF IF I am so sick of excuses...

The people that have said this is stupid are right! haha... :lol:

There are too many variables. Its definetely not going to be a clear and easy win for either car. I think just the fact that it will always be a close race between a car that costs $50,000 and one that costs about $40,000 after mods says a lot for the mustang though...

I just hope there is someone with a new z06 at etown next month

silvercoffin

Established Member
hmm

Yeah? I guess..

There are some 11 sec cars there...probably even some 10 sec cars but they rarely run their times because their drivers cant drive!

There is a guy with an Eclipse I think...that is awd and has a turbo and a completely built engine. He's fast.. but then one can argue...I can take my 89 Volvo and turn that into a 10 sec machine too if I rebuild the entire thing and if I had the desire to run 10s in a Volvo Wagon!

So yes there are a few really fast completely rebuilt cars who race. The ones that actually race every weekend are very fast. The others blow up on the track (usually an import with some huge turbo and rebuilt engine) or cant launch. Or an awd Subaru or Mits that is boosted way up and blow the trans. They oil down the track and turn a night of fun into a night of boredom.

As far as stock or bolt ons go there are very very few 11 sec cars.

Back to the point Stock Z06 vs ported and pulleyed cobra at the strip? Cobra wins. (drivers being equal)

It would be cool for MMFF Magazine to compare.

Calling out the Vette owners.. Etown Friday March 3rd as along as there is no snow... LETS RACE.. look for the yellow cobra 03VENOM... no pink slips but Ill bet a beer i win! ;-)

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Does the ported cobra get aftermarket tires, or does it run stock. That's way more important than the HP in the 1/4.

Give a stock Z d/r and it'll win I bet. Put some of that 125+ trap to some use

89notcher

droppin bombs
Established Member
I say cobra. Granted I'm saying at a 1/4 track with the car set up for track duty. I think it would still be a driver's race. The only conclusive way of deciding this is have the same driver (that knows what they're doing) run both cars back to back and compare. Then again, this is Internet Racing.

BrokeUoff

Banned
this race has occured already, from a roll......looks like a fairly even match, actually.....however, the cobra experienced belt slip, so the stock Z was able to pull a couple cars. Above 135, the Z is gonna take off on the cobra. From a stop, if both cars have traction, the Z's first gear redline of 59 mph is going to help out, as well.

think about it.....100 extra lbs=roughly 10 hp.....cobra has 500 extra lbs...so in order to hang/pull on a 450 rwhp stock Z, a cobra will need 500+ rwhp.

Driver's race. :coolman:

Last edited:

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
BrokeUoff said:
this race has occured already, from a roll......looks like a fairly even match, actually.....however, the cobra experienced belt slip, so the stock Z was able to pull a couple cars. Above 135, the Z is gonna take off on the cobra. From a stop, if both cars have traction, the Z's first gear redline of 59 mph is going to help out, as well.
think about it.....100 extra lbs=roughly 10 hp.....cobra has 500 extra lbs...so in order to hang/pull on a 450 rwhp stock Z, a cobra will need 500+ rwhp.
Driver's race. :coolman:

Nicely said...I think that i would have to agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread