Cobra or GT

svink32

Established Member
Hey everyone, Im in need of your opinion, and I know almost all of you are SVT people, but I want to do whats best and I need your honest mustang advice...I am looking into getting either a 99 or an 01 Cobra in place of my 2002 GT. I still have my GT, and its in great condition with only 15k miles on it. My goal is to find a non-modded cobra with less than 60k miles in great condition as well (may be kind of hard for a good price but I am going to try). Do you guys think it would be a good idea to sell my 02 GT and get lets say a 99 cobra with those details? Whichever I have I plan on getting a s/c but I can get more out of the cobra than the GT if supercharged...Lemme know your guys opinions, thanks alot.

Mach0ne351

Established Member
look for an 01 Cobra first, since the rearend is better, and the interior is better as well. if you cant find the 01, look for a 99 :) OR you can look for a used 03/04 cobra OR save your money for the 06 GT500 SVT Cobra 5.4 s/c :)

marek

svink32

Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
look for an 01 Cobra first, since the rearend is better, and the interior is better as well. if you cant find the 01, look for a 99 :) OR you can look for a used 03/04 cobra OR save your money for the 06 GT500 SVT Cobra 5.4 s/c :)

marek

haha thanks man, I wish I could get an 03, 04 but I just cant afford it...Would it be a good idea if I got a 99 and did up the rearend?

Mach0ne351

Established Member
I would say try to find the 01 first. the thing about the 99 cobra rearend is that is uses a 28 spline differential, while the 01+ uses 31 spline. also, if you get a 99, make sure the recall was done on it with the intake manifold. other then that, you should be good to go...

marek

CobraG

Established Member
svink32 said:
Hey everyone, Im in need of your opinion, and I know almost all of you are SVT people, but I want to do whats best and I need your honest mustang advice...I am looking into getting either a 99 or an 01 Cobra in place of my 2002 GT. I still have my GT, and its in great condition with only 15k miles on it. My goal is to find a non-modded cobra with less than 60k miles in great condition as well (may be kind of hard for a good price but I am going to try). Do you guys think it would be a good idea to sell my 02 GT and get lets say a 99 cobra with those details? Whichever I have I plan on getting a s/c but I can get more out of the cobra than the GT if supercharged...Lemme know your guys opinions, thanks alot.

I'd say get a Cobra, the 01 for the reasons listed above. I traded my 00 GT for my 01 Cobra. I love it, I wouldn't go back

svink32

Established Member
CobraG said:
I'd say get a Cobra, the 01 for the reasons listed above. I traded my 00 GT for my 01 Cobra. I love it, I wouldn't go back

What did you pay for your cobra and how many miles did it have when you bought it?

CobraG

Established Member
svink32 said:
What did you pay for your cobra and how many miles did it have when you bought it?

I got my 01 for $19,600 with 29,200 miles on it. Location plays a huge roll in the price. I live in Colorado Springs, I've been helping my friend look for a 99/01 Cobra, we found a silver 01 coupe with 50,300 miles on it for $18,500, which is a pretty good deal. I got lucky on mine, with low miles.
I know other people will say that's high, but a lot depends on where you live. And for anyone that doesn't believe me, do a search in the Springs/Denver area.

MattP 343

Established Member
i would say try to get a 99 for about 15grand...and then get 01 cobra bumper, spoiler, racing seats (if u care about the interior) and then upgrade the rear-end. That would be cheaper than getting an 01 for around 18grand. .02cents

svink32

Established Member
Yeah I'm gunna look for a '99 Coupe Definately, but Im looking for one with less than 60k miles and hopefully less than $15,000...I have been looking and Im pretty sure eventually down here in Florida I will find one with miles like that for around $10,000-$12,000. I do plan on doing some heavy modding, but I want mine to be as stock as it gets at first, so I can do it myself. At first Im going to do x pipe, exhaust, intake, and gears, eventually doing up the entire rear end, and then thrown in the s/c...If I can sell my GT, I will be heading up to the car auction with a friend of mine who can get in with a wholesaler. Thanks for the opinions, keep throwing them at me.

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
99/01Cobra is your best move. i ran a modded 02GT with all the bolt ons. and still came out in front. all i had JLT CAI,Xpipe,weld in flowmaster(crap)

Users who are viewing this thread