cobra motor swap

greyrider22

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra svt. I bought it a few months ago and am on my second oil change. well im hearing a faint knonk in the bottom end. It sounds like a wrist pin or a crank bearing or something along those lines. I am trying to find out will these motors come out of the car like normal with a hoist straight up out of the hood or does it have to be dropped from under the car?

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yeah it can be done, I took my trans off of the motor though, protect the radiator and take ur time.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I came out the top with the transmission still connected and NO leveler inside of a garage[limited height]

As stated above..just take your time with it and make sure you use strong bolts and points to lift the motor by

greyrider22

Established Member
thanks alot guys exactly what i needed to know. I am looking at dropping a treminator in it. my bud wrecked his up bad and might sale me his engine. i have already done the tranny swap to the 6 speed so just need to engine swap now. again thanks

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
do yourself a favor.. list to me lol

unplug the main hanress on the passanger side the the one 10mm bolt. unbolt driveshaft, hpipe, starter wires, MM/trans mount bolts, AC, PS (just leave them connected and unbolt them from the motor and tie them up with a bungie cord) clutch cable,

leave the starter, intake manifold, harness, trans, everything else connected. take the fan out of the car and the hood off. pull everything out at one shop.

I use a strap with two tied off ends and its exactly the right length and I wrap the loops around the exhaust manifold. it comes right out nice and even. give me a great angle coming and and the trans acts as a counter weight for the engine so it wont flip over. then get it on the ground and tear it apart.

im down to a science about it. takes me 2 hours from start to its all out.

also make sure you unbolt the ground strap on the drivers side MM, unbolt the 13mm that holds the main harness to the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread