cobra motor in mach 1

mach5.0

Established Member
i recently bent a rod in my motor and i was thinking about dropping in a cobra motor and a 2.2 kenne bell. I was just wondering if anybody knew what all i would need to make this work. I already know about some things like the lower intake manifold, front tensioner, pulleys, etc. but i dont know for sure what i do need and what i dont.

Nor Cal Mach

I love this AMERICAN RIDE
Established Member
Wouldnt it be cheaper if you get some new rods and pistons in. At the very least a stroker kit?

o3BLUEMACH1

Established Member
Well if your going to drop a cobra motor in your car then you should do a complete motor(with all the pulleys and everything else already there), then you would just need to get the heat exchanger, and pump and lines....

but if you wanted to just do a cobra short block and then convert your engine to cobra spec there are details about that on the mach 1 registry...

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
I was originally thinking along the same lines as you, but decided against adding the 65-75lbs. of metal to the front end of the car. I dropped in the supercharged spec Aluminator long block, transferred the front accessories over from my stock motor, and am very happy with it.

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
what is the difference from the supercharged aluminator long block and the stock cobra long block.
A stock 03/04 Cobra long block is cast iron, the Aluminator is, well, aluminum! The Aluminator is basically an all aluminum Cobra motor, same forged internals, same 8.5:1 compression, same heads, same oil pan, same front cover, and it comes with a warranty.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
A stock 03/04 Cobra long block is cast iron, the Aluminator is, well, aluminum! The Aluminator FI VERSION is basically an all aluminum Cobra motor, same forged internals, same 8.5:1 compression, same heads, same oil pan, same front cover, and it comes with a warranty.
Fixed....:beer:

There's an N/A version at 10:1 compression and an FI version at 8.5:1.

I know I'm being technical, but if he really considers it, I just wanted that info out there now.

BTW - how you liking the new setup?

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
Fixed....:beer:

There's an N/A version at 10:1 compression and an FI version at 8.5:1.

I know I'm being technical, but if he really considers it, I just wanted that info out there now.

BTW - how you liking the new setup?
Always the Technocrat! Both the original question, and my response, were concerning the supercharged (FI) long blocks, so I didn't feel the need to differentiate. Also, I believe the only main difference between the Aluminator S/C and N/A versions are the pistons, with the use of dished pistons resulting in the lower compression of the S/C version.

As for my setup, I love it, but I'll love it even more when the final tuning is complete. The damn weather here on the east coast is not conducive to getting out and putting break-in miles on a car! My car has been spending more time in my garage lately than it has on the road, but I'm almost at the magical 1,000 mile mark, should only be a week or two more.

mike6466

Established Member
yes you can. i recently just did a mach1 motor into my cobra. if your talking about the na cobras there is no difference in motor besides internals. now if your tlaking about the 03/04 cobra motor then you will have some problems. for one the tranny will have to be changed especially if you plan on a keeny bell, and two engine harness and all that fun stuff that i enjoyed so much. my setup is great. 99 cobra with a 04 mach1 motor with the mach1 tranny. works great. bolted right in. i even used my cobra engine harness. pretty sure i need to a reflash or a tune but it performs better then the cobra motor in my opinion. my suggestion would be to put a new mach1 motor in there or build youer old one because it is alot better then the na cobra motors for sure. but if you plan on doing the terminator motor then just remember you need some work. alot of work. hope this helps. anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Always the Technocrat! Both the original question, and my response, were concerning the supercharged (FI) long blocks, so I didn't feel the need to differentiate. Also, I believe the only main difference between the Aluminator S/C and N/A versions are the pistons, with the use of dished pistons resulting in the lower compression of the S/C version.

As for my setup, I love it, but I'll love it even more when the final tuning is complete. The damn weather here on the east coast is not conducive to getting out and putting break-in miles on a car! My car has been spending more time in my garage lately than it has on the road, but I'm almost at the magical 1,000 mile mark, should only be a week or two more.
:lol: ah, shaddup. :beer:

That's cool man....break those miles in with it parked in the garage. :lol1: I can't wait until you're all dialed in.
yes you can. i recently just did a mach1 motor into my cobra. if your talking about the na cobras there is no difference in motor besides internals. now if your tlaking about the 03/04 cobra motor then you will have some problems. for one the tranny will have to be changed especially if you plan on a keeny bell, and two engine harness and all that fun stuff that i enjoyed so much. my setup is great. 99 cobra with a 04 mach1 motor with the mach1 tranny. works great. bolted right in. i even used my cobra engine harness. pretty sure i need to a reflash or a tune but it performs better then the cobra motor in my opinion. my suggestion would be to put a new mach1 motor in there or build youer old one because it is alot better then the na cobra motors for sure. but if you plan on doing the terminator motor then just remember you need some work. alot of work. hope this helps. anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong.
Sounds about right, except for the bolded part. Internals, heads, cams, intake are all different. In fact, 99 cobras and some 01s have the teksid block and the machs are a wap block.

There I go being mr. Technocrat again. :lol1:

mach5.0

Established Member
thanks guys i appreciate all the help i think im just gonna go back with a stock 04 mach 1 motor and just try to build that up.

Users who are viewing this thread