Cobra missing from 3500 to 5500 at WOT...

DC97Cobra

Established Member
The cobra is missing/stumbling at WOT between 3500 to 5500rpm. I checked the plugs and the look fine. I just replaced them about a month ago and have them gapped at .054. The coils are Accel and have been on the car for 6 months or less. Modifications are listed in my sig. I did a datalog and checked for DTC's. No codes are coming up and can send the csv file to whomever can help. The car runs fine when cruising or at partial throttle through the rpm. It does stumble a little bit after startup or idling at a light. Any suggestions?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do you still have the stock coils? If you do maybe throw those in to see if the problem stays or goes away.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Have u clean ur IAT sensor? Mas-Air flow cleaner and a Q-tip!

Didn't even think of the IAT. Looks like I will be doing some quick mantainence during my lunch break. MAF Cleaner? Why not just use carb/fuel injector cleaner?

CanuckCobra

Established Member
The cobra is missing/stumbling at WOT between 3500 to 5500rpm. I checked the plugs and the look fine. I just replaced them about a month ago and have them gapped at .054. The coils are Accel and have been on the car for 6 months or less. Modifications are listed in my sig. I did a datalog and checked for DTC's. No codes are coming up and can send the csv file to whomever can help. The car runs fine when cruising or at partial throttle through the rpm. It does stumble a little bit after startup or idling at a light. Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem, have you found a solution?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Do you feel the car shaking a lot on idle? And do you feel like if its cutting the gas through the rpm? If you do feel it like that, is because the MAF is dirty, thats how mine was running and one simple q-tip and MAF cleaner fixed it.:banana: Weird how your check engine light is not on.

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I suggest:

Clean IAT
Clean MAF
Install a catch can between the PCV valve and the upper intake

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
ok
will clean the MAF, but I don't know what or where the IAT sensor is.

Can someone draw me a map? LOL

It's near your MAF...where a wire plugs into a black thing on the intake tube.

Looks like this:

F57Z-12A697-A_02.jpg

I also suggest upgrading to NGK TR55ix plugs.

Smoothed out my idle and i now get lots more gas mileage...and seems to have freed a few ponies.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
I'm running cheap Champions in mine. It's cleared up somewhat but still acts up. I haven't had a chance to look deeper into it yet. Plans this weekend for the car is going to be clean the air filter, MAF, IAT, change spark plugs. If that doesn't help, I'm going to look into changing out my fuel filter. I have noticed that the car does seem to be running a lil more rich and fuel mileage has gone down.

Canuck, Let me know what works for you. I'm getting ready to sell my car and want her running right for whoever the next owner will be.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Quick update. Pulled the IAT and cleaned it. No improvements. Next is to clean the filter and MAF. Will let you know how it goes.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Cleaned the MAF and air filter(damn that thing was dirty!).. still acting up. So all of the air inlet sensors seem to be fine. Going to work on spark next.. Coils and spark plugs. going to try replacing the cheap Champion plugs with a set of Bosch Platinum spark plugs. If that doesn't work, I'll install the original coil packs.

What really sucks is that I tried to do a datalog on the car and all seems to be fine. No check engine codes either. :(

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
Cleaned the MAF and air filter(damn that thing was dirty!).. still acting up. So all of the air inlet sensors seem to be fine. Going to work on spark next.. Coils and spark plugs. going to try replacing the cheap Champion plugs with a set of Bosch Platinum spark plugs. If that doesn't work, I'll install the original coil packs.

What really sucks is that I tried to do a datalog on the car and all seems to be fine. No check engine codes either. :(

Forget Bosch. I have heard people having issues with bosch and cobras. Go with the NGKs. Even the autolites I used sometime work well. Just not bosch from what i hear. I'm sure you can find more info if you search.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
I've never had a problem with Bosch. They have always seemed to be a good plug. I already have them though and installing them in the car tonight. Just been lazy all day and playing on the PS3 :-D

Users who are viewing this thread