Cobra Lowering springs

Forcedfed

Established Member
I am about to lower my 01 Cobra, but thought it would be a good idea to get some opinions on springs. I have shopped around to BBK, Eibach, Steeda, Intrax, and H&R. I am not looking to put the car in the weeds, but the car right now looks like its on stilts. Its gonna take at least a 2" drop to make it look right. Has anyone used any of the above springs? If so, the manufacturers of most say that they will lower the car 1"-1.5". that doesn't seem like that much.. does it look lower?.. thanx!

Shawn
:xpl: :-X

svt-tmleader

Established Member
I agree, I am not that happy with the off-road look for the stock cobra. As for mine I have been talking to the guys at Steeda (Nick), and I am going to go with a 1.5 inch drop. I got a chance to see a nice performance red convertible in the service dept at my dealership today. He had done it at 1.5" and I think it looked great. Definately a marked improvement. At the same time I am going to have them put in a Tri-ax shifter and a FR500 steering wheel.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Steeda Springs

2 weeks ago, I had Eibach springs installed (1.5 inch drop). The rear springs made my car lower in the rear. It was terrible. The drop was very close to 2 inches in the front and Eibach tried to give the shop pointers about how to solve the problem. Well, True Blue Performance decided to install the Steeda Springs. They look great and the drop is exactly what they stated (about 1.25 inches). I added some bilstein shocks. I know that Eibach has a great following, but I can't recommend them. This has happend to a couple of other Cobras in this area, when using Eibach.

William

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
hmm.

i've seen a few cobras with eibachs installed and they look just fine. i have eibachs on my other ford vehicle and they lowered the car just as advertised.

i'm also looking at a few other types of springs before making my final decision. i've heard some good things about steeda and h&r, so they will be on my research list.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
:) I"ve got the Eibach Pro's on my car and they look great. The front sits just a little lower than the back. If I didn't check it I would have thought it was level. Love the look, and love the ride.

Tim :D

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Re: Steeda Springs

I have seen eibachs on other mustangs and it looked fine to me also. The '99 and later cobra's seem to sag in the rear on the few that I saw with the eibachs. We checked the codes on the eibach springs to make sure they were the correct ones. I didn't have this problem with the Kenny Brown springs on my '98 GT. Personally, I like a little rake, where the front is drop a little lower than the rear. I didn't mean to stir-up trouble! Just imagine walking toward your Cobra after spending hundreds of dollars and seeing the rear sitting lower than the front. Ugggggggg!

William

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by MikeC

The Bullitt and the Cobra rear springs are not interchangable. The Bullitt live axle has different springs than the Cobra IRS. And I think the lower bolt hole on the rear shocks are a different diameter.
MikeC

-Yup, I meant to correct that-thanks.....wasn't aware of that till someone pointed that out to me. I guess the Cobra R ('00) springs & H&R would make for a proper fit instead...

kwiksnake

Established Member
Well I just ordered H&R springs, they should be here on Monday. After I get them in I will post and let you kno how it looks. I also ordered bilstein shocks too.

Users who are viewing this thread