Cobra Jet 123 MM Maf housing

JLD

Established Member
I am thinking of buying a Cobra Jet 123 MM Maf housing. Has anyone used it? Any pros or cons?
I just installed JLT 123 MM intake and I am not happy with the quality of it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Its the best option to use. There are no cons just pros.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
What year car is it for...the frpp is good up to 10 from 11+ I would use whipples 123 housing and stock bucket to retain factory ram air.

JimIII@jdm

Ive seen the stock 11-14 Air box modified to accept the 123mm CJ Maf and filter setup. You can use the M-9B659-CJ inlet tube as well to mate it to the throttle body.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Ive seen the stock 11-14 Air box modified to accept the 123mm CJ Maf and filter setup. You can use the M-9B659-CJ inlet tube as well to mate it to the throttle body.

Hehe like this ?
Here is your setup you want. I run the CJ 123 maf in a modified stock air box, coupled with the CJ 123 inlet tube. System just flat out works, flows well, and bling is always good :)
No issues at all with it. I just need a shiny new blue filter now.....

Pics:
20130823_183916%255B1%255D.jpg

20130823_183932%255B1%255D.jpg

20130823_183943%255B1%255D.jpg

Last edited:

frederick184

Shelby Enthusiast
Established Member
Hehe like this ?
Here is your setup you want. I run the CJ 123 maf in a modified stock air box, coupled with the CJ 123 inlet tube. System just flat out works, flows well, and bling is always good :)
No issues at all with it. I just need a shiny new blue filter now...

Looks great. What mods need to be done to the airbox to allow this to fit?

Colin

overtime

Established Member
I am thinking of buying a Cobra Jet 123 MM Maf housing. Has anyone used it? Any pros or cons?
I just installed JLT 123 MM intake and I am not happy with the quality of it.

I have it installed on my 2008 along with the CJ 65mm TB and it feeds my VMP TVS very well.

Ninjak

Established Member
Looks great. What mods need to be done to the airbox to allow this to fit?

Colin

Patience, a good cutting tool and a dremel will help. I basically marked out the size I wanted to cut, then made the cut to remove the stock MAF housing. Using the dremel I smoothed out the edges, and made gave room where needed. (More at the top than bottom because of the angle of the tube.)

Once done you fit the CJ housing inside and test the fit. This technique will work with the Taska 123 as well. (Its basically the Whipple one with without the airbox.)

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Boy am I glad to see this thread. I have wanted to either modify, buy ( or whatever) a CAI system for the ram air supplement like I've seen on the 13's (earlier models as well - ?, I don;t know). I have a FRPP that came off my FRPP 2.3 TVS but swapped over to the JLT 123 mm when I moved up to the 2.9 Whipple on my '08. Am I understanding that I can buy a CAI that I can modify for the ram air? Would I cut the solid portions out of the top grill? I've looked (perhaps not carefully enough) and thought there was not enough room to run the ram air to the front grill. I would really love to get more fresh/cool air through the filter!! Am I thinking right?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Patience, a good cutting tool and a dremel will help. I basically marked out the size I wanted to cut, then made the cut to remove the stock MAF housing. Using the dremel I smoothed out the edges, and made gave room where needed. (More at the top than bottom because of the angle of the tube.)
I did the same thing, but cut my heat shield so that the MAF mounts just like the FRPP CIA in their Whipple kit. It was a lot of work, but I like the way it came out. After studying pics from Tob's install post, I knew that's how they made it and replicated it. I too like the OEM stealth look.

Ninjak

Established Member
What tube are you using to connect the throttle body to the cobra jet MAF

That looks almost like the stock tube from the CAI kit for the 07~09 models. I seen that before somewhere.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I'll explain why the whipple is better for the ram air buckets and why the CJ is used on pre 11 cars..

The whipple is two pieces, housing and bell mouth...the bell mouth is the silver bullet most aftermarket cai lack and cause funky drive ability. The two piece whipple can be used in the factory bucket with careful cutting of said factory bucket the bell mouth gets placed over the slight lip you leave on bucket and bolts to the maf housing creating a perfectly engineered piece....u can thank mr Jim Larocca for that info because he helped build mine at his home in NJ I take no credit for it I just did the cutting and building of it.

The CJ is one piece so you can use it in any non ram air bucket like the pre 11 cars....hope that helps guys.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I was thanking Whipple and FRPP for it over three years ago, when the '10 airbox became available. It really is a sweet setup.

IMG_7044.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7045.jpg

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Tob, I tried d to follow you install thread but I did not find the 'end'. I was wondering if had photos or instructions on how you installed the 'ram air' tubing to the CAI. Did I miss something. BTW - your install stuff are top notch. THANKS!!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Bill!

The ducting that delivers fresh air to the '10+ airbox won't fit the '07-'09 cars. Among other things, the brake lines that run to the ABS system are directly in the way. Ford relocated the ABS starting in '10.

I wish there was a way to make it work but without relocating those lines there simply isn't any room.:(

Users who are viewing this thread