cobra is killing me!

icyrolly

icyrolly 03 cobra
Established Member
This is first ford I've owned. This terminator is killing me. It's my ride to work. It keeps tearing up. I'm driving the thing grandma style. First it was head gasket. So I got all that fixed, new chains, tentioners, rebuilt heads, all new belts, plugs, water pump, hoses. Car ran good for about a week now it has a strange misfire when the engine under a load. And it misses slightly at idle. It's intermittent. Had big plans for this car but discouraged and sick of spending money on non go fast parts. May sell out. :shrug:

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
I hate to be that guy, But anything in life worth having is going to take work and time. If thats your dream car or a car that means that much to you. Then in my opnion you are already are there, you own the car. Shit Happens, hold on to it and fix it and nobody except the bank can take it from you. I always wanted a LS1 ever scince I was in high school. I bought it daily drove it... Clutch went out then the tranny went out , and I was like f**k, I need to get to work car is breaking down costing me all this money. But I ALWAYS WANTED A Ls1 Camaro. So, I rode to work with friends asked the girl friend at that time now wife to drop me off at work, etc. and then I finally saved up enough to get a daily driver and was that thing a POS. But I didnt have to worry as much and I could get things fixed on the Camaro as time went on. And, Now its a 850hp Blower Car. I didnt see it then when I was woundering how I was going to get to work. But I am sure glad I kept a clear head and had good car friends telling me to keep it. Best of luck to yeah man. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Mr. Whistle

Established Member
I hate to be that guy, But anything in life worth having is going to take work and time. If thats your dream car or a car that means that much to you. Then in my opnion you are already are there, you own the car. Shit Happens, hold on to it and fix it and nobody except the bank can take it from you. I always wanted a LS1 ever scince I was in high school. I bought it daily drove it... Clutch went out then the tranny went out , and I was like f**k, I need to get to work car is breaking down costing me all this money. But I ALWAYS WANTED A Ls1 Camaro. So, I rode to work with friends asked the girl friend at that time now wife to drop me off at work, etc. and then I finally saved up enough to get a daily driver and was that thing a POS. But I didnt have to worry as much and I could get things fixed on the Camaro as time went on. And, Now its a 850hp Blower Car. I didnt see it then when I was woundering how I was going to get to work. But I am sure glad I kept a clear head and had good car friends telling me to keep it. Best of luck to yeah man. Hope this helps :)

I couldnt have said it better. If its the car you have always wanted, dont let little things like that detur you from enjoying it. Things are going to break when you drive them every day. Just do your best to save and get a beater for a dd. I spent $2000 on my current DD (1995 cadilac sls) have had it for 3 years and its had its share of problems....even has a blown head gasket at the moment(lol). You dont have to spend big money to find a decent cheap car to drive. I have put 100k miles on this car in the 3 years ive had it and i bet ive spent less then 1000 in keeping her going to this point.

You wont think so much about fixing a cheap junker when its a cheap part and little things like that, just the thought of your "baby" always breaking is what drives you up the wall. Just hang in their man, things will get better. And def dont sell it :beer:

icyrolly

icyrolly 03 cobra
Established Member
Good point. Used to have buick gn with bad a** small block chevy. Started out as driver, tore rear end out of it, then back halfed it. 1.5 60' times 4.56 gears. Started running too fast so had to put cage in it. Kind of not a driver anymore. So I got cobra to be my driver, This week coil pack, next week what, irs or tranny. Idk

Mr. Whistle

Established Member
Good point. Used to have buick gn with bad a** small block chevy. Started out as driver, tore rear end out of it, then back halfed it. 1.5 60' times 4.56 gears. Started running too fast so had to put cage in it. Kind of not a driver anymore. So I got cobra to be my driver, This week coil pack, next week what, irs or tranny. Idk

It sucks no doubt. In my eyes an 03 cobra has been my dream car since highschool when they came out. im 26 now and have had this car right at a month. I can tell you that no matter what problems come about i will stick it out. Its one of the baddest cars for has ever made and probably ever will make. Gas prices are shooting up and ford and gm are battleing it out like the old days on whos got the baddest shit around, keep your baby :rockon: You dont want to be like the older guys around that used to have that Super bird and sold it only to regret it down the road. (thats a bit extreeme but you get the idea). lol If you need a cheap beater, ill cut you a deal on my cady ;)

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member

First off I bet that Grand National was DIRTY!!! I bet people eye f**ked you every where you went in that thing! The guy with the 1995 Caddy, me back in the day with my 89 s10 half primer didnt have that affect on people like the Grand National Did or Our Terminator's do. But they get the job done of being our beater car. Its hard to Daily Drive a race car you have seen that first hand with your GN. The best part of a beater is its not a race car. It just needs to get you from Point A to Point B :rolling:

You dont want to be like the older guys around that used to have that Super bird and sold it only to regret it down the road.

There is a hell of a lot of truth to this statement, My own father is 57 and everytime he comes over and we are in the garage and looks at the car he tells me about his 67' Olds 442 he had and he misses that car and should have never sold it. My Father in Law, same shit, everytime we are hanging out in the garage I wish I would have never sold my 63 Vette.... I listened to them, there will be a day MARK MY WORDS, that these cars that we have will be the big dollar cars at Barret Jackson... Cause it is our generations HOT ROD. Every guy in my high school wanted a Terminator Cobra or a LS1 Camaro and in 25 years when all of us have money and our doing well for ourseleves. We are going to want to live out our dreams of having these cars. And there wont be harldy any 03-04 Cobras left. Something to think about, it seems like it happens to every genaration....

Last edited:

icyrolly

icyrolly 03 cobra
Established Member
Man..another good point my dad says that all time. "I should have kept that cuda/gto/454 chevelle/amx etc." Hie can't watch barrett Jackson it kills him. I don't want be like the old guys for sure I guess I will give it another chance.

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
Shit when I was 12, he re-bought a 442. It was a 1970 olds 442 455 bored stroked fully built, he only took it out of the garage every now and again in the summer. But the look on his face and the swagger it gave him and the way he acted made those moments in my life unforgetable!!!

I want that, and that is what my cars give me :)

Last edited:

BearsFTW18

Established Member
Turbo96 is spot on. If this is your dream car then put the money/work in and get her running strong. Or unload the car for less than you'd like, possibly take a hit and buy a different one. These are 8-9 year old cars now, they aren't brand new. This has always been one of my dream cars. Hell, I sold my 2010 Roush 427R with 21,000 miles for an 04 cobra with 14,000 miles. A lot of people called me stupid or crazy but I didn't care. This was always one of my dream cars and I knew I wouldn't be satisfied until I owned one. Now I can't picture myself driving anything but a terminator for a long time. Fix the car up and enjoy it.

flamedstang95

Gettin' Dirty
Established Member
Same thing happening here with me too. Bought the car 2 weeks ago and I've had to do numberous things to it. Hubs, inner/outer tie rods, rack bushings, inter cooler pump, had to have it tuned for the mods the PO did. I've got over a grand into it already and it's still not right. Have to put new fuel pumps in it too because my stockers are maxing out at 4200rpms. Keep your head up and make her right, if you sell it who knows when you'll have the chance to grab another one. Keep us up to date on your progress

gamebred26

Established Member
they are almost 10 years old now...and have prob been beatin on for those years get it set up the way you want it.

shit the one i bought the kid screwed me and it had a hurt motor. but i kept the car and made it in to a beast.

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
Very true statements in here. My first car was a 1967 Mustang Fastback and I been kicking myself in the A$$ for years for selling it. I'm 54 and have my Terminator and wouldn't sell it for anything (would trade it for a '67 Fastback though). This is my 5th Mustang and will go to my son (along with my Macaw) when I die.

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
Same thing happening here with me too. Bought the car 2 weeks ago and I've had to do numberous things to it. Hubs, inner/outer tie rods, rack bushings, inter cooler pump, had to have it tuned for the mods the PO did. I've got over a grand into it already and it's still not right. Have to put new fuel pumps in it too because my stockers are maxing out at 4200rpms. Keep your head up and make her right, if you sell it who knows when you'll have the chance to grab another one. Keep us up to date on your progress

Man, you dont want to know what I have in my LSX I am guessing over 27k in 8 year, not even including buying it. Might even be more... :bash:

they are almost 10 years old now...and have prob been beatin on for those years get it set up the way you want it.

shit the one i bought the kid screwed me and it had a hurt motor. but i kept the car and made it in to a beast.

Thats Sick That you kept it, People all the time are giving up on cars, it makes me sad and pissed at the same time. PEOPLE are always like well what if you blow it up??? Then I ll rebuild it DUH! Thats tight to see that you kept it. Also love the color! :beer:

Very true statements in here. My first car was a 1967 Mustang Fastback and I been kicking myself in the A$$ for years for selling it. I'm 54 and have my Terminator and wouldn't sell it for anything (would trade it for a '67 Fastback though). This is my 5th Mustang and will go to my son (along with my Macaw) when I die.

Thats exactly what I am talking about, I think that is cool you are holding on to it. Good Luck, I hope you find another one some day :)

Last edited:

testorossa1989

Established Member
I have a termi, and a GT 00" and i drive a daily. I will be the first to tell you that its NOT like a GT. Its not a "Sports car" its a "HIGH PERFORMANCE" car meaning its going to need love, attention, mantience, ect. These CTS-V commericals i see make me laugh!! Making people think their just a more sporty package of a CTS. Cant wait too see how many of those suckers you see on autotrader or at the shop in the next 2 years once warrenties expire and mantience becomes costly and a daily occurance. Youll have good days and bad ones. Ive missed plenty of cruises because of a issue or what not. Ive been in your position and so have most members here. Ask anyone who drives their SVT daily if its 100% mechanically sound, ready to roll onto barret jackson auction floor. Anyone who says yes is bullcr@ping you. I drive mine 3 times a week maybe less weather depending and ill admit i have a "TO-DO" list.

Best tip to offer you... Pickup a wrench and a socket set and go to town. Its a learning experience and theres hundreds of members that will gladly answer any questions, and many write ups ontop of that. The cars going to need love man. Grab a friend and start working on it! If your not giving me gas $$$ then your giving me a shop hand :-D Just dont be that guy who goes to FORD every day, youll be thousands of dollars deep. The car is performance but its just old enough that most things are ideally basic. Now a days you have CTS-V's and Porches with technology everywhere. You cant even pull a wheel off and do a brake job anymore without going to a certified shop. Yeah a chain or headgasket might not be a 1 day job but it could be a weekend job if you have the right friends, and right tools.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This is a truly motivational thread lol, some great advice in here!

I agree! car's are money pits, but for some reason I always have to have one. I've only put 3k miles on my low mileage cobra (now 23K) and I've been replacing the weak links on this car. Now I have a tranny noise which I'm hoping is a TOB or sleeve. I'm hoping I can enjoy the car this summer, because I have a blast driving it when it's running right!

Users who are viewing this thread