cobra is giving my trouble, big suprise!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i have a rattling noise on my car. it sounds like it is coming near the trans. if i mess with the clutch pedal the rattling will stop. i'm thinking it's the throw out bearing but i'm not sure. but i did bottom out kind of hard on a dirt road so maybe something is loose?

phinhead34

Established Member
Mine was doing the same thing and it was the throw out bearing. I went and changed my clutch too as the tranny was already down.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
well i have a king cobra clutch and the whole thing has less than 9,000 miles on it. how hard is it to replace the tob?

LDC2335

Established Member
FAIL! Mine is doing it too, sounds almost like an exhaust leak or rattle, then i barely touch the clutch pedal and it stops. I didnt wanna do a cluctch till next year. I can live with the noise it it will hold out till income tax.

45,000 miles, original clutch/tob

whats the worst case senario if a tob goes out while driving? Is it gonna ruin anything, or just lose drivability?

Last edited:

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
FAIL! Mine is doing it too, sounds almost like an exhaust leak or rattle, then i barely touch the clutch pedal and it stops. I didnt wanna do a cluctch till next year. I can live with the noise it it will hold out till income tax.

whats the worst case senario if a tob goes out while driving? Is it gonna ruin anything, or just lose drivability?

someone please answer fast. i don't want my car all ****ed up.

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member

If the TOB goes out while driving you'd better call the tow truck unless you can make it home in whatever gear it went out in. You will not be able to shift at all!
I had this happen to my original OEM TOB. Had to drive 10 miles home in second gear.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
damnit. i hope mine hangs in there for a while. how much does it usually cost to replace?

harvboi05

Established Member
a TOB is only like 40 bucks, depending on where you get it. but you need to drop the trans and its "in your best interest" do perform other maintenance work while the transmission is out.

should only take a few hours if youve done it before and nothing goes wrong.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i have a mechanic friend that will drop my trans for $125. what other maintenance needs to be done? the trans was rebuilt and the brand new clutch was put in less than 9k miles ago.

LDC2335

Established Member
If the TOB goes out while driving you'd better call the tow truck unless you can make it home in whatever gear it went out in. You will not be able to shift at all!
I had this happen to my original OEM TOB. Had to drive 10 miles home in second gear.

lol, i had to do the same whn my clutch cable snapped, bout 10 miles and 2 stop lights in 3rd. i got it from 2nd to 3rd with out the clutch but wouldnt go back down to 2nd..lol, it was fun, id do it again.

i have a mechanic friend that will drop my trans for $125. what other maintenance needs to be done? the trans was rebuilt and the brand new clutch was put in less than 9k miles ago.

weird since your new clutch kit should have came with a new TOB:

if it did i wonder why it failed so soon, if it didnt, that sucks, but makes sense.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
lol, i had to do the same whn my clutch cable snapped, bout 10 miles and 2 stop lights in 3rd. i got it from 2nd to 3rd with out the clutch but wouldnt go back down to 2nd..lol, it was fun, id do it again.

weird since your new clutch kit should have came with a new TOB:

if it did i wonder why it failed so soon, if it didnt, that sucks, but makes sense.

my car pisses me off so bad:nonono:

LDC2335

Established Member

If he was really a friend, he's do it for a case of beer...lol

my car pisses me off so bad:nonono:

I just got the go ahead for a spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel from the wife as soon as i get back from Afghanistan....SWEEEEETTTT :rockon:

Better to fix it before it breaks than after.

Last edited:

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
If he was really a friend, he's do it for a case of beer...lol

I just got the go ahead for a spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel from the wife as soon as i get back from Afghanistan....SWEEEEETTTT :rockon:

Better to fix it before it breaks than after.

he is a good friend but he is the lead mechanic for a kia dealership so he is going to do all the work at there shop. he charges me half price of everyone else so i'm not complaining. i just don't want to get into the trans and find out something worse.

LDC2335

Established Member
fair enough thats not a bad price reguardless,,,,, i am leaning toward spec stage 2 but after 100 pages of clutch threads i dont know, everyone seems to think what they have is the best. I think stage 3 with sacrafice too much dive quality and i doubt ill get to that power level, havnt heard anything bad about fidanza's either so im torn between the two. oh well i have 3 more months to research. Ive read to buy a oem tob though, aparently the ones that come in the kits fail often.

so if you replace yours you might wanna look for a OEM TOB. Just a thought.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i remember reading that somewherer also. that is what ill probably do. i live right next to my gym and right up the road from my work so i put less than 2 miles on my car a day. the rattling doesn't bother me but i don't want to mess anything up. my clutch pedal had made a shaking noise for the longest time and now the rattle so i'm sure its the tob.

Users who are viewing this thread