Cobra IRS question

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
03/04 irs is stronger due to the beefier half shafts. i know the hub carriers changed along the way too but whether that was in 00 or 01 i dont know offhand. the 03/04 irs also already has the lowered inner toe link mount. 00r gets a unique differential, while the 03/04 (and 99,01) get a standard traction-lock diff. 03/04 also have the cross brace on the pinion end of things.

remember that the irs in and of itself is a compromise so in many ways its suboptimal.

i'd very much like to drive a square edge car with full maximum motorsports stuff out back. (panhard bar, torque arm, coil overs) otherwise i have only my 02 gt to compare it to, and i dont like quadra-bind rear suspension. its not the snap oversteer that bothers me, its the feeling under corner loads that when you hit a bump it feels like the axle is trying to jump out from under the car. the irs has none of that.

comprepsvo

Established Member
So, is a 03/04 Cobra IRS a direct bolt in replacement for a 00 R IRS? Would it be worth it to do on a 00R? I guess you would still need the pump and fluid to air cooler? for track events?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The '00 "R" half shafts had unequal length ends that went onto the differential. This was because of the posi-traction unit. The '00 "R" had a front brace that only connected the front LCA's and didn't touch the diff.

It had a smaller pinion flange on the differential housing.

It also had the earlier caliper slider pins and caliper attaching bolts (different thread and head).

Otherwise the complete IRS assembly (cradle) will bolt right in. Yes, you need a cooler for tracking!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread