Cobra IRS catback on Solid Axle Install help

twnt70s

Established Member
Hello everyone, I need the help of those that have installed Cobra IRS catbacks on Solid axle mustangs. I have a 95 GT that I am working on. I have tried multiple attempts to install this using the various methods I have found on this site and others and its not working for me. At this point I am thinking my car is too high at the rear and its causing the exhaust to have to dip too far to get under the axles therefore causing the rest of the issue. I can't get tubes level because of this issue.

Help me out, please give me some ideas. I don't want to give up yet. Check the pics IMG_1230.JPGIMG_1225.JPGIMG_1226.JPGIMG_1231.JPG

cobralvr01

Established Member
Is that middle picture with it installed? If So I think it is because of the hanger bracket gap being to large. You may have to shorten it. From what it looks like, though, your car is too high to seat that catback comfortably without having to have it sit at a weird angle to fit.

Now, I know you didn't ask for it but I just did this and I have to give you a bit of advice.
At first, this is going to be awesome as **** to have because the IRS exhaust looks killer. However, the feeling of walking on glass while driving will kick in and it will get very annoying very quickly. I sent my IRS exhaust to an exhaust shop to have it tacked in to try it out. I liked it for about a week or two, but eventually the whole thing with the rear diff smacking the exhaust every time I turned on an incline or drove across an uneven surface got too annoying. Eventually I sawed it all off and I'm now running dumped 40's.
Try it out, if it's not for you, keep the system in case if you decide to go with a true IRS system down the road. That's the stage I'm at right now.:rockon:

twnt70s

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I am going to work on it tomorrow. I have a set of sportlines I was going to install anyways. This should help with the rear being too high. I'll work on closing the gap some more. How did you hang yours?

cobralvr01

Established Member
I had a shop install them so I'm not sure what they did. From other threads, it looks like you have to relocate the hangers on the catback.

Users who are viewing this thread