Cobra in trouble

96svtcobra

Established Member
hey i've got about 90k on my 96 cobra. I was driving back from school the other day and doing about 55 at 2k or so rpm's. I was going up a hill a gave it some for gas and it was stuttering like maybe the clutch was slipping. this only occurs when i am in a high gear and low rpm's. What do you guys think? If it is the clutch which one would you guys reccomend? I also have BBk long tube headers and is there any special trick to pull the tranny without pulling off the passenger side header?
if i get into it it feels like the engine is not always firing almost. it is not the usual noise when in high gear low rpm. its almost like the engine is cutting off and cutting back on really quick. possibly a misfire when in thos situations with the gears?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
When was the last time you did a tune up, Replaced the plug wires, changed the fuel filter? New coil packs might also help. These are just a few items that may help.

NastyWS6

Established Member
Either your car needs a tune-up or the clutch may be slipping. It's too hard to say unless I could hear the problem, anyway to get a sounds clip of it ?

96svtcobra

Established Member
i had new plugs and wires at about 50k. when this happens the car vibrates and feels like right around the clutch tranny area. i dont believe the clutch is slipping because the revs dont really move when this happens i also cannot smell the clutch burning. i am not planning on putting a new clutch untill i get a 6 speed tranny first. on the tune up autolite 764 with live wires and screamin demon coil packs sound ok and new fuel filter?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Unless you're spraying, I'd stick with the stock style double platinum plugs, or Denso Irridiums maybe. Rest of it sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread