Cobra front calipers vs 00 cobra R brembo calipers

A stallion

Established Member
Hey guys is it worth the upgrades for 650rwhp-700rwhp power? Or the cobra calipers are good enough?

oldmodman

Established Member
It's worth it, depending on the price.

If you have to pay 1400+ then I would look into some of the other brands that have six piston for about the same price.

But if you can still find a new set of the 2000R brakes for what I got them for 10 years ago ($795.00) grab them.

But if I was going to be doing it today I would pay the extra for the six piston StopTechs with 14" rotors.

Now if you are just talking about performance than it's another matter entirely. The stock 03 Cobra brakes never faded for me driving on the street. And several people on here that do track their cars are getting by just fine with just better pads.
So if you just want good brakes. Change the fluid and the pads. If you want great looking brakes blow the cash for a set of 14" rotors and six piston calipers from StopTech.

Last edited:

sonic cobra

Established Member
You should upgrade the brakes to work with the increased power.
The 4 piston Brembos are a great choice as oldmodman indicated.
Back when I got mine they were far cheaper than the stoptech.
If you have 18" wheels, go for the 14" kits. Otherwise, any of the name brand 13" big brake kits will serve you well
I've been tracking mine with the 00R spec Brembos since '06 and see no need to change them unless i go to 18" wheels.

wmfateam

Established Member
Fully Torqued Racing has a bracket that makes it so you can run 14" rotors and s197 calipers. I believe they are testing it with the 07 4 piston Brembo calipers as well.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hey guys is it worth the upgrades for 650rwhp-700rwhp power? Or the cobra calipers are good enough?

The OEM PBR calipers were marginal at best for stock cars. Add a couple hundred HP and you need better brakes, no question, something like Y2KR Brembos at the minimum. Add a couple hundred more HP and you need a 14" front brake upgrade no question.

People that don't think Mustangs need brake upgrades have never driven a Mustang with good brakes.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

A stallion

Established Member
The OEM PBR calipers were marginal at best for stock cars. Add a couple hundred HP and you need better brakes, no question, something like Y2KR Brembos at the minimum. Add a couple hundred more HP and you need a 14" front brake upgrade no question.
People that don't think Mustangs need brake upgrades have never driven a Mustang with good brakes.

Hello Bruce,

Btw I love my complete FTBR package I bought for IRS two years ago through, and after that never felt wheelhob ever :)
For 650rwhp street and 700rwhp track I would need 14" rotor? 6 piston calipers? What brands or setups your recommend? People do the 13-14 Shelby Brembo swap check this link
http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt...de-2013-shelby-6-piston-brembo-15-rotors.html

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hello Bruce,

Btw I love my complete FTBR package I bought for IRS two years ago through, and after that never felt wheelhob ever :)
For 650rwhp street and 700rwhp track I would need 14" rotor? 6 piston calipers? What brands or setups your recommend? People do the 13-14 Shelby Brembo swap check this link
http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt...de-2013-shelby-6-piston-brembo-15-rotors.html

Majeed:

We are happy to hear that you love your FTBR IRS bushing package. We never get tired of hearing success stories about the kit.

If you are looking at upgrading your brakes I suggest you stick with a top brand like Brembo and buy a kit that is designed to fit your car. There are several reasons I do not like the kit you linked and some of the reasons are explained in the link to the Brembo kit we sell:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rake-conversion-kits-now-available&highlight=

The biggest offender is the addition of 12# of rotating mass and unsprung weight on the already too heavy front end of your Terminator. The 13" one pc rotors you are currently using are about 19# each. The 14" GT500 rotor weighs over 25# each.

The brake kit you linked to was NOT made for your car. That is why you have caliper mounting adapters, and rotor/wheel spacers that require long wheel studs which in turn will make your tires stick out a couple more inches especially if you plan on using the incorrect off-set wheels as well. Wouldn't you rather have a Brembo brake kit that was designed to fit your car? You certainly can save a few hundred dollars by going that route but is that worth a few hundred dollars to you?

In case you're wondering why our kit is so much more expensive, our kit has a two pc floating rotor assembly with a directionally vaned, directionally slotted and clear zinc plated iron rotor ring with a hard anodized aluminum hat. These rotor assemblies not only save you OVER 17# of rotating mass and unsprung weight (for the street version) over the other kit, they also look a lot better as well. These 2 pc rotor assemblies are much more expensive to manufacture as compared to buying a heavy one pc OEM replacement rotor that is not directionally vaned, slotted or plated.

If you have any questions let me know and I will answer them for you.

A stallion

Established Member
Majeed:

We are happy to hear that you love your FTBR IRS bushing package. We never get tired of hearing success stories about the kit.

If you are looking at upgrading your brakes I suggest you stick with a top brand like Brembo and buy a kit that is designed to fit your car. There are several reasons I do not like the kit you linked and some of the reasons are explained in the link to the Brembo kit we sell:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rake-conversion-kits-now-available&highlight=

The biggest offender is the addition of 12# of rotating mass and unsprung weight on the already too heavy front end of your Terminator. The 13" one pc rotors you are currently using are about 19# each. The 14" GT500 rotor weighs over 25# each.

The brake kit you linked to was NOT made for your car. That is why you have caliper mounting adapters, and rotor/wheel spacers that require long wheel studs which in turn will make your tires stick out a couple more inches especially if you plan on using the incorrect off-set wheels as well. Wouldn't you rather have a Brembo brake kit that was designed to fit your car? You certainly can save a few hundred dollars by going that route but is that worth a few hundred dollars to you?

In case you're wondering why our kit is so much more expensive, our kit has a two pc floating rotor assembly with a directionally vaned, directionally slotted and clear zinc plated iron rotor ring with a hard anodized aluminum hat. These rotor assemblies not only save you OVER 17# of rotating mass and unsprung weight (for the street version) over the other kit, they also look a lot better as well. These 2 pc rotor assemblies are much more expensive to manufacture as compared to buying a heavy one pc OEM replacement rotor that is not directionally vaned, slotted or plated.

If you have any questions let me know and I will answer them for you.

Bruce,

The link you send me is very helpful. Also what you said about the 13" Shelby calipers conversation is so true. I don't want to have to sell my current 18" wheels to buy S-197 wheel for this conversion.

My main question is what is the different between Y2kR calipers and F-50 caliper? Also F-40 calipers. Is the F-50 or F-40 are cars production calipers?

Can I use the 14" conversion kit on the Y2KR calipers? Is it gonna be the same performances as the F-50 with the 14" conversion kit since they are both 4 piston calipers?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce,

The link you send me is very helpful. Also what you said about the 13" Shelby calipers conversation is so true. I don't want to have to sell my current 18" wheels to buy S-197 wheel for this conversion.

My main question is what is the different between Y2kR calipers and F-50 caliper? Also F-40 calipers. Is the F-50 or F-40 are cars production calipers?

Can I use the 14" conversion kit on the Y2KR calipers? Is it gonna be the same performances as the F-50 with the 14" conversion kit since they are both 4 piston calipers?

In your first paragraph, I'm sure you meant to say 14" and not 13". Of course you want to keep your current wheels that were made for your car as opposed to running wheels with different offset and back spacing that were NOT made for your car. That is pretty much a no brainer right there.

The Brembo Y2KR calipers are an axial mount caliper and they utilize a 13" or 330mm diameter rotor that is 28mm thick like your OEM rotor. Although these four piston fixed calipers do apply more clamping pressure on your rotors and better braking as compared to the OEM PBR two piston floating calipers, there is no increase in braking leverage with the Y2KR 13" Brembo kit. The F-50 Brembo calipers are radial mount and they require a caliper mounting bracket that bolts to the spindle. These are the same calipers that were supplied in the Brembo Gran Turismo 14" or 355mm big brake kit with 32mm thick rotors. They list in the $3,600.00 price range:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brembo/gran_turismo.jsp?&make=Brembo&model=GT+355mm+Big+Brake+Kit&group=GT+355mm+Big+Brake+Kit&partNum=1B1.8001A1&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Mustang+Cobra&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=

I am not sure exactly what the differences are between the F-40 and F-50 calipers but I can tell you they do use the same brake pads.

You cannot use the 14" Brembo conversion with the 13" Brembo Y2KR calipers. It's two completely different kits. The 14" kit is going to out perform the 13" kit because of the increased braking leverage afforded to you by the larger diameter.

Here is the difference between an axial mount caliper on the left and a radial mount caliper on the right which requires a caliper mounting bracket:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10106&stc=1&d=1376952995

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
I have the 200 CobraR Brembos on my Cobra and open track my car 2 times a year. They work very well lap after lap. I also duct cool air into the front brakes which I'm sure helps. I had mine for 10 years and paid in the $700.00 range. You can't go wrong with Bruce's advice.

Users who are viewing this thread