Cobra forged crank, 2V build pulley question

bulldog5.0

Established Member
I am in the process of building a Teskid all forged bottom end for my 2V setup. I am using the 96 Cobra crank that came with the block. I am also adding a Vortech T trim, My question is, what crank pulley do I need to use? Can I use the stock 2V crank pulley, will it work on the Cobra forged crank? Or do I need to use a 4V pulley? I am already pressed against the budget ceiling for this buils as it is, so can't really afford to drop $300-$400 on an aftermarket pulley. I have the stock 2V pulley available, just wondering if it will work or not, or if I need to find a 4V pulley. Any help you can give is appreciated, as I need to take my rotating assembly to get ballanced, and i am waiting on the pulley situation. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bobby_0081

Established Member
Stock 2V or stock 4V? I'm still going to be running the 2V setup. Or does it matter?

I have an under drive fluid dampening pulley from March and the rest of the under drive pulleys are from my Steeda under drive set. The engines are internally balanced. If you are going to invest all the money in a build the I would recommend at least buying a new Ford balancer.

bulldog5.0

Established Member
I have a pretty much new balancer for a 2V right now. That's why I was asking. If I can use that, I am set. Just needed to know if the 2V balancer/pulley would work on the 4V forged crank.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
This may be a dumb question, but if the pulley fits on the crankshaft why would it matter which one you used? I know pulley diameter can have an effect, but is there something else I am missing?

bulldog5.0

Established Member
This may be a dumb question, but if the pulley fits on the crankshaft why would it matter which one you used? I know pulley diameter can have an effect, but is there something else I am missing?

Not a dumb question, I wasn't clear when i asked. I have the crank at the machine shop, and the pulley I have is still at my buddies house. I was unable to try it, plus, I was asking also so I know for sure. Even if I did the hour worth of driving between all locations to test fit, and it fit, wanted to make sure there wasn't any other reason it wouldn't owrk. Lots of things "fit", but still are incorrct, just wanted to make sure.

Bullitt813

Established Member
Not a dumb question, I wasn't clear when i asked. I have the crank at the machine shop, and the pulley I have is still at my buddies house. I was unable to try it, plus, I was asking also so I know for sure. Even if I did the hour worth of driving between all locations to test fit, and it fit, wanted to make sure there wasn't any other reason it wouldn't owrk. Lots of things "fit", but still are incorrct, just wanted to make sure.

Well I can't say if it's "right" or not, but it's what I'm running (have been for several years).

bobby_0081

Established Member

If the machine can you should take them the balancer and flywheel to balance all together. Just an idea.

bulldog5.0

Established Member
If the machine can you should take them the balancer and flywheel to balance all together. Just an idea.

That's what I'm doing. I was just trying to make sure the balancer would be ok before I dropped it off. Thay already have everything else, and are waiting for the balancer

CJK440

Established Member
If its internal balance there is no need to bring the balancer or flywheel/flexplate. The shop can verify that they are zero balance, OK, but if the shop alters either to bring the rotating assembly into balance, you no longer have an internal balance motors.

As for the harmonic dampeners, the Cobra is thicker than the 2V GT one for more weight and better dampening but they are interchangable.

Users who are viewing this thread