Cobra engine type and differences?

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Believe it or not google has been contradicting itself. I am just rying to figure out the type of motors and the differences in the internals from cobras starting from the '93.

1993- I know it was a 5.0, how is it different from a GT?

1996 and up, it was the first year of the 32V right?

Just looking for an explaination of the different cobra powerplants. Thanks.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
93-95 Cobras used the same shortblock that the GT used. They had GT-40 iron heads, 1.7 rocker arms, different cam, intake, throttle body, maf, 24# injectors, and a specific ecu. I think the fuel pump may have been a larger unit as well. The 93 intake & throttle body is slightly different from the 94/95 version due to hood clearance.

96-98 Cobras used the 32V DOHC B-heads on a Teksid aluminum block with a steel crank. The whole shortblock was different from standard GT.

99/01 Cobras also used a different shortblock from a GT in an aluminum block, but with the DOHC C-heads.

03/04 Cobras were the ones that went back to an iron block with completely forged rotating assembly, and a new version of the C-heads.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
^ you're the man. What would generally be considered the best motor overall besides the Terminator?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
well thanks lol:beer:

That question could be argued till the end of time lol. I suppose the 99/01 C-head motors would be the one I would prefer if we're talking about keeping it stock? The 93-95 Cobra motors were pretty dang good *in their day*. They were proven to be underrated, but like all factory 5.0 motors the block itself is a limiting factor to BIG hp builds and aftermarket blocks are a big expense. The 96-98 B-head motors have proven to make great power under high boost, and as with all modular motors you get the better deep skirt block. There's just so many variables to consider one engine "the best." It all depends on what your goals are and what you want to spend.

I grew up on the pushrod 5.0, and I love the cheap hp you can make with them. But at the end of the day, what makes me a modular fan is how driveable they are under big power.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Thanks, a buddy of mine just bought a bone stock 96 mystic. I had a terminator for years so I am unfamiliar with what are people's usual first mods/what would be best to upgrade for that motor, car and all that stuff. Just came to get educated

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
^ you're the man. What would generally be considered the best motor overall besides the Terminator?

The best non Terminator 4.6 is the 03/04 Mach 1 motor. It is essentially an updated 99/01 Cobra motor with revised heads and intake. It doesn't make any more peak power than the 99/01 motor but it has a little flatter torque curve.

As far as 4.6 vs 5.0, some guys are diehard 5.0 guys but in stock form and mod for mod the DOHC 4.6 will outperform them.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
Thanks, a buddy of mine just bought a bone stock 96 mystic. I had a terminator for years so I am unfamiliar with what are people's usual first mods/what would be best to upgrade for that motor, car and all that stuff. Just came to get educated

GEARS. B-head cars like gears and rpm. 4.10's and don't look back. Make sure those IMRC's are clean as a whistle, if not deleted.

The best non Terminator 4.6 is the 03/04 Mach 1 motor. It is essentially an updated 99/01 Cobra motor with revised heads and intake. It doesn't make any more peak power than the 99/01 motor but it has a little flatter torque curve.

As far as 4.6 vs 5.0, some guys are diehard 5.0 guys but in stock form and mod for mod the DOHC 4.6 will outperform them.

I absolutely agree. I just didn't mention that motor because it seemed he was talking "Cobra" motors only.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
GEARS. B-head cars like gears and rpm. 4.10's and don't look back. Make sure those IMRC's are clean as a whistle, if not deleted.

IMRC?

I absolutely agree. I just didn't mention that motor because it seemed he was talking "Cobra" motors only.

I was, but it's food for thought about the Mach N/A

oldmodman

Established Member

The best Ford motor is the Ford GT Supercar engine that was built for only two years. I guess that it qualifies as a Cobra.
Now that's modern engines. If you really want to start a war ask about engines built before 1972. Lots of them were available in cars called "Cobras".

Last edited:

redrocket16

Established Member
IMRC= Intake Manifold Runner Control

I don't know the specific RPM when it occurs but there is a module with cables that open between the intake and heads to flow more air and lets the engine breathe while keeping power down low. These are notorious to being stuck open/closed or not functioning at all. Fairly easy to get to, just remove upper/lower intake and thats where they hide.

Hop over to the SN-Cobra area for some good info. NA-SVT is a wealth of knowledge with these motors as is others in that area.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
IMRC= Intake Manifold Runner Control

I don't know the specific RPM when it occurs but there is a module with cables that open between the intake and heads to flow more air and lets the engine breathe while keeping power down low. These are notorious to being stuck open/closed or not functioning at all. Fairly easy to get to, just remove upper/lower intake and thats where they hide.

Hop over to the SN-Cobra area for some good info. NA-SVT is a wealth of knowledge with these motors as is others in that area.

3200RPM I think

Users who are viewing this thread