Cobra Engine Noise

SuperSnake87

Established Member
Mine sounds kinda similar, just not quite as loud. My car has 37k miles on it, and its an early production '03 (produced on 6/02), from what I was told the valve terrain on these things are normally pretty loud. I am going to try changing the oil and go from there. Did you do the head cooling mod before installing the whipple?

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
Mine sounds kinda similar, just not quite as loud. My car has 37k miles on it, and its an early production '03 (produced on 6/02), from what I was told the valve terrain on these things are normally pretty loud. I am going to try changing the oil and go from there. Did you do the head cooling mod before installing the whipple?

No, but I just did the LDC mod last winter when I had the transmission out to replace the throw out bearing.

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
I thought this was the noise that the car had made in the past. I did some digging and found a video from July 2012 where it sounds like a similiar noise. Would the head tick go away for over a year and then come back? I'm stumped. Here is the video from July 2012.

2003 Cobra head tick - YouTube

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
I got thinking and I don't remember if I changed the oil this spring or not. My memory is getting worse as I get older. I did check it the other day and the color was clean and the level was good. It is a long shot, but I'm going to change it and see if it makes a difference. If anything maybe it will rule out some of the other things plus it will only cost about $30 as opposed to the alternatives. I'll post my findings.

SuperSnake87

Established Member
I'm interested in the outcome, you're even lower mileage than me and I'm not sure to be worried or not considering I just got the car!

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
So after checking the spark plugs and the injectors (which all seemed fine), I changed the oil and put some Lucas Pure Synthetic additive in it at the recommendation of the mechanic where I work. He thought it sounded like lifter noise. Sound seems to be mostly gone, or at least a lot less noticeable. In the videos, I did let the car warm up before recording them. Let me know what you think.

2003 Cobra engine noise post oil change pt2 - YouTube

2003 Cobra engine noise post oil change pt3 - YouTube

woody2190

Established Member
On my Cobra this is how my noise started and thought it was a lash lifter that was stuck. Changed the oil and it went away for a week and then got worse, end up being a spun rod bearing.

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
On my Cobra this is how my noise started and thought it was a lash lifter that was stuck. Changed the oil and it went away for a week and then got worse, end up being a spun rod bearing.

Hopefully it's not that. :nono:

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
Kinda just sounds like injector noise, but I could be wrong. It's happened before.

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
Well, it seems my noise has disappeared and the car seems to drive fine. So I am not going to do anything further at this time. Thanks to everyone that offered info. I appreciate it and I'll post something if something changes. :beer:

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Ford always had issues/qwerks with 4.6, 5.4 & 6.8 lash adjusters. There were messages for followers dislodging in cold weather where you would install little clips to hold the follower to the lash adjusters when they wouldn't pump up. I've seen misfire codes on police interceptors and taxis after changing oil due to the change in oil properties from out with the old and in with the new. The video sounded more hydraulic.

I say drive it and don't worry about it. The dreaded tick will not develop overnight and will take a long time for the exhaust valves to either burn up or leak from not seating.

If it comes back then that bank 2 cam cover will need to come off. Until then have fun!

Last edited:

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
Ford always had issues/qwerks with 4.6, 5.4 & 6.8 lash adjusters. There were messages for followers dislodging in cold weather where you would install little clips to hold the follower to the lash adjusters when they wouldn't pump up. I've seen misfire codes on police interceptors and taxis after changing oil due to the change in oil properties from out with the old and in with the new. The video sounded more hydraulic.

I say drive it and don't worry about it. The dreaded tick will not develop overnight and will take a long time for the exhaust valves to either burn up or leak from not seating.

If it comes back then that bank 2 cam cover will need to come off. Until then have fun!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread