Cobra drver module harness burnt up

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
So I have an 04 Cobra. It has a KB 2.6 running stock pumps with a BAP and stock fuel driver module. Car has a KB frps disc as well. The harness connector(that was spliced into the boostapump) wire got hot and bridle and the pin inside the connector isn't flush anymore. The aftermarket connectors that were crimped on got charred and black. Correct me if I'm wrong but is this due to voltage spikes? It did not blow ANY fuses. The BAP fuse was good.

I'm contemplating doing lethals budget return system. My tuner said when it was running the pumps were at 88%.

Should I do this to avoid anymore problems or should I go the 2 fuel driver module route?

Looking for answers from guys that have had similar issues. What course of action did they take with it?

Thanks gents

Last edited:

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
oh yea - the car ran..like shit. I stayed out of boost to drive it home but it started with about 20lbs of fuel pressure and eventually dropped to 6-7 lbs! on the highway the afr was ok and the car ran great..as long as I didn't give more than 1/16th of throttle.

MG0h3

Established Member
It may have just been a bad connection.

If the wires were too small for the system or if there was a bad connection, that resistance will cause heat and you generally see the failure at connection.

Ive never seen a fuel pump start to fail and draw more amperage, its always been the other way around and typically they just die and wont draw any current.

You could do an upgrade to the fuel system but if you may end up with the same sort of electrical failure.

Im still on stock pumps and a BAP so I cant comment on much else.

Last edited:

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
It may have just been a bad connection.

If the wires were too small for the system or if there was a bad connection, that resistance will cause heat and you generally see the failure at connection.

Ive never seen a fuel pump start to fail and draw more amperage, its always been the other way around and typically they just die and wont draw any current.

You could do an upgrade to the fuel system but if you may end up with the same sort of electrical failure.

Im still on stock pumps and a BAP so I cant comment on much else.

the wire is pretty thick gauge. do you think the fuel pump driver module is fried also? are you running 1 or 2 with your boostapump?

MG0h3

Established Member
the wire is pretty thick gauge. do you think the fuel pump driver module is fried also? are you running 1 or 2 with your boostapump?

I wouldn't know the answer to either of those. My car came with the system installed and since I havent modded that part of my car further or had any failures I haven't paid much attention. It was installed by AED with the blower.

Based on what you described, I would suspect a poor connection right where it cooked. I would expect that if high current caused the failure, you would have blown a fuse. The fact that the system was working but at minimal levels makes me think you werent getting enough power to the pumps suggesting you didnt have a lot of current flowing.

You almost need to repair the connections and test the system to see if there is another problem.

Users who are viewing this thread