Cobra down, engine rebuild time

Jfowl21

Well it happened. Saturday morning after golfing I heard a strange ticking sounds. Went home freaking out so I changed and checked the oil and it all seemed clean. Took it back out and the noise continued, as I'm pulling into my subdivision it cuts out and won't crank over. 52,000 miles and it's dead. Weighing the pro's and cons of rebuilding it myself vs a shop rebuilding it. Want a mostly stock rebuild but plan on upgrading parts where it makes sense. I don't know anything about rebuilding an engine, I can just do the basics, but my brother and uncle build motors for their cars (granted 302's, 350's and LS1's) So I have them to help through this.
I'm trying to start putting together a parts list for the main items. Following NASVT's recipe. Was just hoping for anyone's input. I've seen most rebuilds go with the Manley forged rods so I think that might be something i'd go with.
Please don't come after me, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. This was my college grad gift and I figure since I'm not in a rush to rebuild it, it might be a chance for me to really learn a thing or two. Costs wise if it ends up making sense for a shop up here in metro Detroit to do it, then I'll have them. For now I'm just trying to get a starting baseline as to what I'm looking to get myself into.
Thank you all!

Jfowl21

Also yes I know there's quite a few posts on here but a lot are 10+ years old so I figured it would be a good time to start a new thread in this post - covid world

MG0h3

Established Member
Well first I’d want to diagnose the problem.

Sound like a rod knock or?

Let’s assume the crank is salvageable.

Reuse the crank, rods, block.

Definitely new pistons with a higher compression ratio.

Heads….you could do a simple rebuild with new seats and guides.
Sky’s the limit on where you want to go.

If you could swing the money for cams, I’d do it.

You also should address the timing components. Todd Warren can guide you on this as well.

I can’t recall the name of the shop, but member Joe William on here is in Detroit. Think it’s actually called Bypolar; not sure on spelling.

He gets a lot of project cars with built engines that he doesn’t always need so that’s an option too.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
What's the goal with the engine? Are you ever going to run boost? Is it going to be an N/A set up?

Jfowl21

Well first I’d want to diagnose the problem.

Sound like a rod knock or?

Let’s assume the crank is salvageable.

Reuse the crank, rods, block.

Definitely new pistons with a higher compression ratio.

Heads….you could do a simple rebuild with new seats and guides.
Sky’s the limit on where you want to go.

If you could swing the money for cams, I’d do it.

You also should address the timing components. Todd Warren can guide you on this as well.

I can’t recall the name of the shop, but member Joe William on here is in Detroit. Think it’s actually called Bypolar; not sure on spelling.

He gets a lot of project cars with built engines that he doesn’t always need so that’s an option too.

Rod knock maybe at first but now the engine is seized. Ford dealership called me today to confirm. I’d like to salvage as much as possible. I could swing the money for cams but I wouldn’t want anything too aggressive. Making it a little bit more fun is always nice but not trying to make it crazy.

MG0h3

Established Member
My bad. Thought this was an 03/04 car

01yellercobra

Established Member
Probably never going to run boost, want to keep it almost as close to stock but a little upgrade here and there would be nice.
Since you're on a budget and not looking to boost it I would stick with the stock rods and go with an aftermarket piston to bump the compression a little. Of course this is after pulling it apart and making sure everything is useable.

There's no need for heavy forged rods in an N/A engine that needs less weight to spin faster. I'd probably look into hyperutetic (sp?) pistons as well over forged.

52merc

Established Member
Read this thread. It is current and NA. Lots of good info here from the Master himself.

Jfowl21

Thanks to you all for your input! Definitely leaning towards doing it myself. Every quote I’ve gotten back is $4500+ and I’m in no rush to finish it.
I started putting a parts list together this morning but then came across this rotating assembly from modmax.

Seems like it has everything I need and I can even change the piston dish size. Has anyone ever ordered their rotating assembly?

The thing that worries me(and my family of mechanics) the most is the cam timing. Everything I read they say it is doable but very tricky. Worst case scenario do you think a shop would do specifically that part of the engine?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Installing the cams isn't that bad. I've done it a few times and never used the special tools. My main piece of advice is turn the engine over a few times by hand to make sure everything is good. An old friend of mine did his cams and they were off just enough to case some interference. He would have had some bent valves if he had dropped the motor in like that.

Now if you want to degree them, that's a whole different thing.

Users who are viewing this thread