cobra doesn't hold value.....

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
I've heard this from people about how Cobra's aren't holding any value. In the terminator forum people were arguing about this, going back and forth blaming it on ford and dealers and how the car was built. I'm currently selling mine (well, thinking twice about it now and don't expect to sell it here after writing this) and I see why they ain't worth shit for re-sell. People on this forum talking about the "DEAL" they can get from some dealer or how this person or that person only paid 22k for his 03 that was way better. Telling the people who are selling their cobras that they are crazy for trying to sell them for anything over 26k. Somone who tells me that they will buy it from me for 22k or 23k is nothing less than an insult. I'm sure others that are selling are feeling the same crappy feeling about selling a car they love so much and the pride they have to be able to say they owned one and talk about the mods they have done to make their beast roar. Then, in about 2 years when the new SVT comes out, these people are going to bitch and cry about how these cars don't hold their value. Thanks for listening to me vent and screwing myself.
By the way, I'm selling mine for 25,500k FIRM

12-22-04
Some are missing my point which is.... Cobra owners are bitching on other treads that cobras don't hold value........while other Cobra owners are telling other Cobra owner who are selling, that they are asking too much. See what I'm saying. In other words, we are f$@king ourselves here.

Last edited:

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
It's okay to vent sometimes. I spent a few years, buying and selling cars at auction. It was neat to see the prices fluctuate based on things like weather, New Car incentives, interest rates, time of the year, and yes body style changes. Did you know Black and White cars bring different money based on Summer or Winter?
As buyers we always want to pay less than market value, as sellers, we always want more than market value, only natural.
There are many sellers that set a price based on what they paid or what they owe and not the market value.
Truth is the market value for 03/04 Cobras has been hurt by the introduction of the 05 Mustang.

LocoGT

Banned
CARS ARE NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT PEOPLE. That should be common sense now.

You're going to hate a nice hit on any car unless it's a collector's car or super rare like a original HEMI Cuda or something.

It sucks, but that's just the way it is

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
My 01 cobra is the worst investment that i have ever made and i dont give 2 shiats about it. I will never sell this car so who cares anyway :).

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Whoever said they would? The only time they have value is when they are about 20 to 30 years old, original stock and low mileage AND were of low production number stock to begin with. Cars are not good investments unless they meet the above criteria and even then they are only as good an investment if you have a buyer.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
I tried to sell mine, couldn't get squat for it and decided to keep it and make it into what it should have been from the factory. Then I'll enjoy the car for the next 3-4 years waiting on the newer 07 Cobra to come around used like the 03s have now.

The great thing is, I'll be enjoying the hell out of a great car in the meantime. Anything I get out of it come resale or trade time is just gravy.

servidjo

Established Member
this is my first post, so ill make it short.

the investment into your car is worth it for the pleasure you get out of it. the payback on your investment isnt so much in monetary value, but in the joy you get when you drive the car. and having had the privelage of driving my friend's 04 cobra, that payback is huge.

CJsV8Bird

I agree with the guy who said "Cars are not a good investment"

Cars depreciate, no matter what. If you bought an 03 Cobra, and you are mad b/c of it's value in 2004... Maybe you should not have bought it.

Cobra's still hold their value better than a lot of cars out there. But you will lose money all day, every day when you go to sell it. This is a fact of life, and I am surprised to see that people are arguing this point at all.

Buy a car for yourself. Not for how much money it's worth. Because as soon as you sign the paperwork, you just lost money.

People should buy Cobra's for one reason only... Fun.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
I actually leased my 03 and when they told me the residual buyout in August of 2005 would be about $18,500 I was floored(vert msrp was 39k). I was thinking it would be mid 20's for sure. A site like leasecompare.com is great for looking at residuals, they are like bookies, they know something. I thought about selling mine and getting a 745li. Look how much even luxo "premium" cars go for after 3 years(list 74,595-residual 41,027=55%). Better than the cobra's 46% but you still lose your ass either way :banana:

jason

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
I'm not selling mine, so I don't really care what its worth. When you shell out the big clams for these toys, better make sure you really want it. Its like a marriage...only better because you're in COMPLETE control :pepper:

ridethelighteni

foolish samurai warrior
Established Member
A car will hold it's value if for one reason or another there are no advancements in that car as the new models are introduced. If for instance Ford (and all other manufacturers) decided not to introduce high performance versions of Mustangs, etc. because there was no market for them, 03/04 Cobra's would go for a premium for several years to come. Situations like that are rare. Maybe a few muslcecars of the late 60's, early 70's. I think the turbo buick's which were only around for a few years, and can still hold their own have held their value better than most. TT supra's are another example.

So admit it, unless you have more cash than me and are planning on buying the latest and greatest as it becomes available, you are secretly hoping that Chevy and Ford does not release a new muscle car to compete with the Cobra anytime soon.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I guess if a person is savvy and know what cars to buy they can probably turn a bit of a profit here and there, but certainly almost any car should be bought because its desirable to have and not for the money to be made. When I bought my car I got a fantastic deal plus the 0% interests which certainly helps in the short-term in how much money you can pocket if you decide to sell.
In my area, Cobras seem to hold their value pretty well as I still see low mileage 01 Cobras advertised at around $20,000 and up retail. Back in October, I was down in Myrtle Beach for the weekend and saw a dealer advertising a 01 Cobra for $22,000!! There's newers Mach 1s going for less than that. Now when you owe significantly less it all comes down to how bad you want to sell it and how much somebody wants to buy. Plus, I would imagine a low mileage, untouched Cobra will bring more than a daily driver with higher mileage or one that has several bolt-ons with obvious wear and tear.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Dad has his Grand National for 17 years now and it wasnt until a few months ago that he found they are starting to appritiate slightly. These things take time. Hell even Ferrari's have this problem. The F328 which could be had for 60g's in the late 80's are now, even after all this time, only worth 40g's. The Testarossa's... Those were well over 100k when they first came out, now you can find a good car on dupont registry for between 50 and 60k. I wouldnt worry about it. It happens no matter what you buy unless your lucky enough to be able to afford 300 thousand dollar 1 of 20 produced, automobiles.

HIErPwRd

Established Member
ugly question

but what do you guys think will 03s/04s be going for in 12-24 months
from now???

also i love the ideas of cobras holding their value, but WHY ON EARTH would someone buy an 01 with lets say 15k miles for $20k : when they could buy an 03 with 25k for $23k??? :shrug:

03CobraBro

Established Member
03/04's will probably be going for less in 12-24 months. I doubt until maybe a generation or 2 after the current car will you see these things appritiate in value. I will say this, I would imagine the prices will bottom out soon, I just dont see them going back up atleast for another 5 to 10 years, if not longer.

IDAREU

Banned
My concern is the ticking motors. What problems will
we start seeing in the next few years becase of the Tick?

If there are serious motor problems because of the tick, don't expect to get much when you sell.

Chameleon

Established Member
servidjo said:
this is my first post, so ill make it short.

the investment into your car is worth it for the pleasure you get out of it. the payback on your investment isnt so much in monetary value, but in the joy you get when you drive the car. and having had the privelage of driving my friend's 04 cobra, that payback is huge.

Well said.

The best way not to lose much money on cars is to buy ones that are at least two years old. The majority of depreciation in value happens during the first two years. The flip side of that coin is that when you purchase a performance car there is a good chance that it has been driven much harder than a non performance car, therefore purchasing a two year old performance car is risky.

IMHO you should not buy a new performance car if you think you may need to sell it in two years. You will have just paid for the majority of reduction in value. If you buy a new one, keep it and drive it....get the payback from driving pleasure.

If you think we have it tough look at the 04 GTOs, they can't give those cars away!

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
It's rare that a car holds it's value very well. I'm having trouble selling my Z06 and I've given a $16k discount!

Users who are viewing this thread