Cobra Clutch

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
Ok, feeling a little overwhelmed reading through here.

I own a 2004 Cobra Convertable. Borla Exaust, bassani x-pipe w/highflo cats, tunable induction intake, and fluidyne heat exchanger.

Just lost my TOB and think my pivot bearing is bad too.

I want a stage 3 or 3+ clutch as my next mod will be pullies and custom tune.

I don't know what to buy completely. I am doing this myself and it will be my first time. I read somewhere to do the conversion of 10 spline to 26 spline i needed a press? is that something I can find at my local hobby shop? I'm planning on doing it all in one day, starting early in the morning with the lift.

Any Help will be greatly appreciated. I have been a long time reader, just signed up today though to post. I did read through the "how-tos" and this forum before posting, still confused a bit.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
To be honest, is this car pretty much stock?
The spec 3+ might be a little over kill.
I suggest a new ford HD TOB, lethal or Mcleod TOB Sleeve, Ford Pilot bearing, resurface the flywheel or get a new Fidanza aluminum one, and 4 quarts of new Tranny Fluid ( i prefer synchromesh), lots of info on here about what fluid is better, and perhaps a clutch firewalll adjuster and UPR Triple hook quadrant, so you can adjust the aftermarket clutch better.
If you go with the stocker again, which lasted me 50,000 miles and 450HP for a few years, then just get the basics.

Last edited:

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
Yes, pretty much stock. not even tuned yet.

so don't do the clutch assembly then? or just don't go for a stage 3 yet?

Those seem simple enough to get going. I just hit 38k miles and it is my first clutch/tob/pivot bearing.

Hate you can't buy all that in one place :(. Thanks very much for pushing me in right direction. Hoping if I go with that I don't need to just get a new clutch to soon. like to do everything at once.

Last edited:

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Seeing how you are doing this on your own which means you are not paying labor. With just 38K, your clutch may still have lots of life left. If you are short on cash you could just replace the TOB and leave the rest alone. It doesn't really take all that long because you don't have to remove the bell housing (read: you don't have to F$%k around with that starter bolt) to just change the throw out. Pilot bearings last much longer then TOB's so just change it when you do the clutch. The TOB's are notorious for going out on these and it's a waste of cash to change the clutch every time "just because you are in there"

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
The reason I am really concerned is the way it was squealing today when it went. It sounded like a drunk cat in heat with the clutch pressed in and would continue light squealing with it out until i gave it a decent amount of gas and was moving, not stationary.

I actually smelled smoke when it went, and while driving it back to park it until I got parts the clutch pedal would bounce now and then.

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
Is that another part besides the TOB and the throwout bearing retainer sleeve? already ahve both in my cart at lethalperformance. was going to call them tomorrow morning.

I really appreciate the help and feedback btw. New to transmissions and clutches and again I bought this car new and never had any problems with this part of the car in the last 6 years.

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
Ford Racing 96-04 Heavy Duty Throw Out Bearing (M-7548-A)
Ford Racing 96-04 Mustang Roller Pilot Bearing (M-7600-B)
UPR 96-04 Mustang Adjustable Clutch Cable(UPR-3010-96)
UPR 79-04 Triple Hook Quadrant & Dbl Lock Firewall Adj. (Blue) (UPR-3004-100)
Lethal Performance T-56 Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve (LP-T56TOBSLEEVE)

Just ordered these from lethalperformance. Hope they do the job. Will update next week when I get out of the field and do the work.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Quick, cancel the order for the upr adjustable cable!!!! Not only is an adjustable cable not necessary with a firewall adjuster, any cable other than the factory one have proven to be junk time and time again. Your stock cable should be just fine.

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
Well took out the transmission today and it seems like the pressure plate is a little worn. The bearing was shot to ...heck? took off the transmission and there were balls everywhere and the throwout bearing was in many pieces. The sleeve was still in great shape.

I should replace the clutch but there is no where around here open on sundays that sells spec clutches, or any performance clutches on sundays. Everything is closed so it will just have to wait a bit longer for a new clutch. I think the will be fine. I'll be putting it all back together tomorrow. That stupid top bolt and 2 of the 3 bolts on the starter are pain in the arses. What where they thinking putting the bolts on the other way?

Thanks again for the help and I hope I will have a chance to contribute to other soon on here.

Users who are viewing this thread