cobra clunk fixed, new wheels

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
so after being angered every time i drive my car for the last year, i finally decided to look into fixing the cobra clunk. mine was pretty bad, and sounded like the diff was coming through the floor. i ordered everything clunk related from bruce @ ftb racing. rear diff mount, front aluminum diff mounts, and the larger front subframe bolts

my old rear bushing. you are supposed to press this out, i pushed it out with my thumb.

moto_0149.gif

new vs old

moto_0151.gif

moto_0156.gif

moto_0164.jpg

this is the chamfer the directions say to grind in the bushing, mine took some grinding of the bracket too as it was touching the diff cover previously

moto_0165.jpg

my rear cover leaked, so i figure since you have to pull the diff out anyway, might as well grab the silicone

moto_0163.gif

moto_0161.gif

moto_0157.gif

and i got a killer deal on real 03 wheels, i just had to get them. i was not a fan of my stock 99s.

moto_0131.gif

moto_0130.gif

moto_0133.gif

moto_0134.gif

moto_0135.gif

moto_0145.gif

moto_0174.gif

Last edited:

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
oh yea, the clunk is 99% gone, and it even axle hops less. well worth it till i can save for the full IRS kit

bruce is the man, thanks for helping my IRS!

this week i believe ill get a good tune finally since the long tubes and such, then off to the track!

Last edited:

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Very nice! The wheels look great. I installed the full FTBR IRS package nearly 2 years ago, works fantastic, you'll love how the feel of the car is tightened up.

Wabish

Established Member
I'm glad it worked out for you. I need to do the same thing for mine. Everytime I'm changing gears it clunks incredibly bad. If you don't mind me asking, how much did everything run you (minus wheels)?

PS.
Wheels look great!

Last edited:

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
Very nice! The wheels look great. I installed the full FTBR IRS package nearly 2 years ago, works fantastic, you'll love how the feel of the car is tightened up.
i seriously cant wait till i get the money for the rest of the kit, but this was absolutely needed first. the rest i can do later. but i did get to see just how dry rotted all the others are, and im afraid ill be buying the cross axis joints :(
I'm glad it worked out for you. I need to do the same thing for mine. Everytime I'm changing gears it clunks incredibly bad. If you don't mind me asking, how much did everything run you (minus wheels)?

PS.
Wheels look great!

thanks, i love love LOVE how the car is turning out, piece by piece. the rear diff bushing, front aluminum mounts, and 9/16th bolts ran me $185 to my door. by far the best money spent on the car yet, i love it 30 times better and i didnt do the whole kit yet! the wheels are my second favorite, it needed something different baaaad

bullitt1672

Established Member
I'm a cobra newb and was getting to make a thread asking about drivetrain clunk but glad I stumbled across this first. Mine clunks when I shift gears, right as soon as i let the clutch pedal out enough for it to grab. Also when I go over bumps, it sounds like something underneath the car is going to fall off! Is this similar to what yours did before you changed out the bushings? I take it its a common problem?

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
going over bumps, im not sure of. the clunk between gears and on and off the gas is a definite YES. hands down best mod ever

bullitt1672

Established Member
Thanks for the input turbo2300, looks like i'll be doing bushings this winter.

edit: i searched ftb racing but couldn't find anything, could you please put up the link to where you purchased the kit?

Last edited:

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
i wasted over an hour trying to wiggle it out and realized only the axles were holding the diff in, 5 minutes later i had it out.

Users who are viewing this thread