Cobra Brakes

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Recently did the Cobra brake upgrade and had to TOTALLY equalize the propertioning valve. Seems like the rear of my car isn't doing much braking at all. In the rear I already have the 98 Cobra rears with about 1/2 pad left. This is all of the time--don't think its a brake fade issue. Help.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
What did you do to the proportioning valve?

I am actually surprised that you had to do anything. Your front and my front are pretty much the same (other than caliper on mine saying Baer) and there was no change required to the OEM proportioning valve or master cylinder. I wouldn't have thought the difference between OEM 93 rear discs and the late model rear discs would have made that much difference.

Only thing I can tell you is to order a manual adjust proportioning valve from Summit. I think they are around $50

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
I have a manual proportioning valve: I opened it all the way. I guess there could be air in the line...I just don't remember this issue when I had the 99gt front brakes. I was thinking that its possible that my rotors are glazed or my pads are shot. I have a Wilwood Prop. valve. I appreciate you guys' responses.

racerbox77

Established Member
my fronts lock up pretty quick now too. Im thinking of adding a willwood proportioning valve. If there was air in the lines wouldnt you feel that in the pedal travel?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
When I did my Cobra swap I found it necessary to use a Motive pressure bleeder b/c I COULD NOT get the air out of the lines manually. Also, when you bleed the rear make sure the PV is opened all the way to allow full flow to the calipers.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Thanks fellas--when I did my recent bleed I didn't open up the valve. Shouldn't be an issue now--

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Not yet--overtime, overtime, overtime...laughing all the way to the bank--with deminished rear braking.

Users who are viewing this thread