Cobra brake upgrades?

chknhwk

Anybody have any brake upgrades with the stock '98 style Cobra wheels? I do open track and HPDE events a lot and am looking at upgrading the brakes. I want to try to stay away from 18" wheels b/c I like how the car rides now - not too much side wall flex stock.
I'm looking up the Alcon stuff (Jim Campisano said he rubbed 40' off his stopping distances with his but I forgot to ask what wheels he had to run :bash: ) and Baer kits.
There's a guy on Corner-Carvers running six piston Porsche 996 calipers on 14" rotors. Sounds nice but only if I could run under the 17's...
Input? :beer:

bobh

Not so Senior SVT Poster
Established Member
Not a major upgrade, but I use slotted rotors (yeah, I know lots of controversy about whether they're worth it) and Hawk street/race pads. A bit of dust, a bit of squeal, but they seem to work fine.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
How about the Baer set up?Kinda pricey though....I'm considering on just getting a better set of pads....Green Stuff seems to be a pretty popular change.....

Wildpony

Established Member
I think you have to dump a ton of $$$ to really make a big differance vs. the stock Cobra setup. Those Baer kits seem to be the way to go but I think you have to upgrade the wheel size to 18"

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
From the articles I have read with the larger Baer setup, you can still run the 17" rim with them it just get's pretty tight in there.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Aerospace engineering has some awesome 4 piston calipers with 12in rotors that will be an improvement over the stock ones. Put those on all four corners and it will stop very hard. Did I mention it will shed about 60 lbs also??

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by hwkrcng
There's a guy on Corner-Carvers running six piston Porsche 996 calipers on 14" rotors. Sounds nice but only if I could run under the 17's...
Input? :beer:

You gotta have 18's for them. We have a BoxsterS with the cross drilled big brakes. The car has 18's all the way around, and there isn't much room up front.

Sean L

Established Member
Since you have '98 Cobra you're in luck, the 4-piston Brembos (factory '00 Cobra R front brakes) fit under a 1998 17x8 Cobra rim.

The Brembos run around $1000 for the kit, which includes the calipers, rotors, and braided lines. IMO this is the best bang for the buck upgrade in brakes for our cars.

Check 'em out at: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/brembo.asp

I recently installed these brakes on my full Griggs GR40 '94 Cobra, but I haven't had 'em on the track yet, I'm still getting the car sorted out.

Last edited:

Sean L

Established Member
There's a guy on Corner-Carvers running six piston Porsche 996 calipers on 14" rotors.

Do you mean these?

This is on my friend's car. He used to run the 4-piston Brembos pictured above on his '90 LX Coupe, but he upgraded to the Big Yellows. I believe they cost about twice as much as the 4-piston Brembos.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I think the Brembos are a great upgrade from the stock Cobra brake.

chknhwk

Originally posted by Sean L
Since you have '98 Cobra you're in luck, the 4-piston Brembos (factory '00 Cobra R front brakes) fit under a 1998 17x8 Cobra rim.

That sounds like the best deal to me... Thank you SO much for the info!!

Originally posted by Sean L
Do you mean these?

This is on my friend's car.

Yeah, those are the ones I was talking about but I don't want to move up to 18's, Pennsy roads SUCK!! :mj:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
stock brakes and OEM replacement pads stop me well enough on the street. Saved me from going through intersections at 80MPH many a times :D

Users who are viewing this thread