cobra belt squeaking. ideas?

03sm3341

Established Member
My upper pulley was pressed on too far. It was rubbing the belt on the back side and had a gap in the front. By looking at it you wouldnt think much but it made the difference.

Cos

Established Member
Same problem here too. Tried the Alternator trick. Tried the belt reverse trick. Kind of annoying. Car looks and sound wicked then when you accelerate there is a tiny chirp.

livnlrn

Established Member
Mine is doing it on accelleration. I noticed the belt fraying a little on the front side. Going to check the allign. of the pulleys. I will let u guys know if that was the prob.

svtaddict

Established Member
mine squeaked alot because of my lower pulley. changed it but still squeaks until warm and couldn't figure it out. One of my customers today was a ford mechanic back in the day and he told me apparently right around 2003 they started getting alot of cars with squeaky belts. he told me to replace my coolant tank and cap and to wash my belt with soap and water. let it dry. then to clean it with a good spraying of carb cleaner and let it sit in the sun until it dries. i tried it and while it was off i sprayed all the pulleys down. Well the squeak is gone hopefully it stays gone in the morning. Also i am noticing a slight leak coming from my coolant tank cap. hope this helps. i would of never thought that would cause it.

Last edited:

matt87

Established Member
gates belts suck, they squeak at any time, new or old. change brands. washing it or whatever was said above is a bandaid and it will squeak again.

Alec Piazza

2.93, 4lb lower, 100mm idlers, 3.2 alt and notched tensioner. I'm running the gatorback belt. I couldn't get the gates belt to stop squeaking for all that long.

I bought a 2nd gates and a week later it started doing itI I took it off and cleaned up the belt and pullies with brake parts cleaner and a bit of steel wool. That lasted for about a month or two, IIRC. After that, I went with a gatorback. 3 years now without so much as a chirp.

Where did you get your gatorback belt. Also how big of a belt. I'm having a problem with my gates belt currently.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Fixed my gates squeal yesterday, removed and installed backwards(letters upside down) and now its quiet even at startup

strad

Established Member
04 ..Stone stock pulley and various belts and I've had the chirping/squeaking belt off and on since new.
Drives me crazy as it's worse after the car has been sitting, which it does a lot anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread