Coated vs uncoated headers

Eng90

Established Member
Hey guys,

Is coated worth it ??

Is there big difference in temperature in engine compartement?

kdaly

Established Member
Hey guys,

Is coated worth it ??

Is there big difference in temperature in engine compartement?

I have them coated but not sure about the measured benefits.. A cooler engine compartment is a better place than a warmer one. But how much it translates into faster times, and higher hp and low IAT's. Its only a couple hundred to do. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, its probably money well spent. If you plan on dumping it in a couple years save your money I would think. I did it because I wanted to lower IAT's but since I upgraded hoods its no longer an issue

Rodinator

Established Member
My .02 coated is well worth it. I've read that keeping the inside hot also helps keep exhaust gas flow at a higher velocity helping scavenging. But under hood temps are defiantly better with coated headers.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Coated is nice, i got my kooks headers coated for free from a deal through marlyand speed. Be careful when installing them though. My passenger side header's coated finish got scraped up a bit when installing them due to lack of clearance and first time installing headers on these cars. As to whether or not the make a difference in temperature its hard to say. They will definately keep your headers looking nicer for longer though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
its worth it, if nothing else they will last longer, but the added benefit of lower under hood temps is a good thing

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
My .02 coated is well worth it. I've read that keeping the inside hot also helps keep exhaust gas flow at a higher velocity helping scavenging. But under hood temps are defiantly better with coated headers.

Thank you for mentioning this, as it is very true. Higher temperature gasses will have a higher velocity, meaning they exit the engine (and exhaust) faster.

We believe that a good ceramic coating is worth doing for the temperature benefits and maintaining the manifolds nice appearance.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't even consider doing non coated headers. I bought a car "chevy II" with ss non- coated and I really don't like looking at them. They just look nasty.

lmurtha1

Name Taker
Established Member
It's only truly worth it if you have them coated properly. Jet-Hot extreme ceramic 2500 or Swaintech. Don't waste money on anything else, unless you like wasting money that is.

I have both done. Jet hot 2500 on my ARH LT in my procharged Silverado and swaintech as we speak on my turbo headers for my Shelby.

Both lifetime warrantee and Jet hot warranties even wrapping headers 100% (only with 2500 coating) no questions asked after coating as they can NOT get hot enough for the adverse affects typical with wrapped headers.

The Jet hot 2500 is pure ceramic and only comes in black- lesser rated coatings are available in colors but I'm personally not into that cosmetic colored foo-foo and swaintech is white.

Both are almost identical in price and cost $700 to coat. It isn't cheap but watching my previous Kooks LTs go to crap in a few years and ridiculous temps under the hood, it's worth it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread