Clutch, yup now the tranny

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Well after the clutch decided to it didn't want to hold anymore when I would get on it, the tranny has started to make the great "death" whine, I can in no way hit 3rd when power shifting and it grinds like crazy even when being as careful and gentle as possible and refusing to go into 5th a few times this weekend and getting stuck between 3rd and 5th and when trying to go into neutral. It gets stuck and takes considerable muscle to get it unstuck. Time for a real trans and clutch. This little 4cyl. T-5 has been a damn good tranny considering what I have put it through, I really didn't think it would this long, so I have no reason to be angrykinda impressed with how it held up:rockon: Now if I can just decided which one to go with. I have another 4 banger trans to put in for now so I can decide wether to get a world class, or just build a beefy one myself or with any luck find a T-56 :rockon: Also anyone know the cheapest place to pick up a Spec Stage II? :beer:

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
spec stage 2: sybersport.com talk to darren. he'll treat you right!

tranny recommendation, c4 with a nice stall and a reverse manual shifter!!

Or get a t5 with a pro shift kit!

Or a 3550 with/without pro shift kit!

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Thanks Doug. I will have to give him a call this week. First I need to decide which tranny I am going to go with.

I have been mulling over two of those choices. I like the idea of going the pro shift route, but being an everyday driver I don't think I will like it. As for the C4 I have to keep my overdrive for the drive to work and plus I plan on roadracing more than I will be at the strip. It was an automatic until last year, and I just can't see myself going back to an auto, I love rowing the gears too much! The 3550's are very nice and if I remember correctly, you can get those with different ratios? I don't know what to get? I really, really want a 6 spd, for some strange reason I have always had a hankering for one. Decisions, decisions.

94CobraPace

Established Member
Might want to check out G Force. They have a tranny rebuild with new gear cluster with the ablity to handle 500-600 hp. Can also get a .59 OD. For the kit is app $1000 to redo your T-5.

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
I always say the "T" in T-5 stands for temporary. I think a 3550 will do what you need.

I get my clutches from www.specpwr.com. Get the number off the website and ask for Mark. He's always treated me right.

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
i am actually doing the T-56 conversion on monday morning and putting in a SPEC stage II at the same time. for the T-56 compatible clutch i got it for 286.00 from stangsuspension.com, best price i could find. i decided to go with the T-56 because i was getting tired of crusing at like 3k rpm's on the freeway, i'll let you know how it is when i get it put in. i got the T-56 from a buddy of mine, got it for like 1950 before tax.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
For some reason i have always wanted six forward gears too. If i was you i would get the t56. you will have a very hard time breaking one of these and they should have come factory anyway. if you go the t56 route get the viper version. it is stronger and the ratio for 6th gear is lower, like .52 or something like that. just my .02

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
That is how I am now snakebite. With the super low 1st in the 4cyl trans, and the somewhat lower 5th, and 3.73s I have to buzz it at 2900 with stock size tires to stay up with traffic. Ever since I drove my brothers 93 6spd Z28 years ago I have wanted a 6spd. Once you get yours up and running let me know your first impressions. I also think it would hold up just fine even when launching it on slicks with the giggle gas.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
the 3550/tko have a road race edition with a slightly higher 5th gear. Like .8 or something instead of the normal .72.

RE t56: I believe 6th gear is .50.

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
the Viper Spec T-56 is a 0.50 overdrive, the regular T-56 that is in the 03 cobra has like a 0.62 i think.

97whitesvt

Established Member
The viper spec t56 is awsome. Didnt get due to price there are a lot of little extras that add up switching to it. i love my 3550 and have never had a problem with it. if you have the funds go six speed but if not, 3550. my 2 cents

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I picked up another used 4cyl. T-5 for free this weekend to get me by until I can get the 3550, I think it is gonna be best for the plans I have for my car.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
you'll be very happy with the 3550. I know its helped me alot. I am a lot more confident in shifting hard with the 3550 over the t45 and the pro5.0.

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
so i got the tranny put in today and all i can say is wow. i ended up getting the king cobra clutch because its more streetable for my needs. the T-56 is the definet ay to go, you won't be sorry. its so smoothe and strong. i need some time to break it in before i can really stomp on it but twotone if you can get one, i'd definetly get the T-56. but thats just my opinion.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Congrats. Glad you got it installed and up and running. Thanks for the input, I am still not a 100% decided on which one I am gonna go with. Again thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread