Clutch WTF SOS

GreyAsp

Established Member
Having an issue with my clutch that I just can't figure out.

On a quick shift from 3-4 at 90+, I heard/felt a "thump" through the shifter. When I went to downshift into 3rd, it came out of 4th but wouldn't go into 3rd (or any other gear for that matter). I pulled off and shut down, at which point I could go into any gear easily. It was only with the engine running that I couldn't get into any gear, which made me think the clutch or linkage was toast. I yanked on the pedal adjuster but it was already all the way at the top.

After letting it sit for a while, I was finally able to start it in neutral, massage it into first and slip the clutch like crazy to get rolling (accompanied by a spinning "shhhhhhh" sound). I got it home (100 miles of freeway) just fine once I was moving, but I could only shift up or down if I rev-matched. Since the stock adjuster is crap, I thought it had just worn out and wasn't letting the clutch release completely. So I installed the MM quadrant, firewall adjuster and new OEM cable. Now, with the adjuster screwed all the way to the firewall, the clutch doesn't totally engage until very close to the top. In addition, the "shhhhhhhh" sound happens at certain points of the clutch travel (with the shifter in neutral or in gear). When slowly releasing the clutch (pushing in), the sound happens for a short period about halfway down, then is gone by the time the clutch is all the way down. Then, while engaging the clutch, the same sound happens even louder starting about half-way up and gets more pronounced as the clutch totally engages. The sound keeps up as I start moving - I don't hear it after that, but it may be present and just getting lost in the exhaust sound.

So, seems like I went from the clutch not releasing to now barely engaging. And I'm not sure whether or not they're caused by the same problem - whether or not the original problem was fixed by replacing the parts (which maybe caused the new problem) or if the original problem is causing both sets of symptoms. I don't notice any slippage at all once I'm moving. It doesn't seem more difficult to shift than before. I don't hear any really "bad" sounds (squealing, banging, etc) other than the "shhhhhh" as described. This makes me think it's not a disc or plate problem, but something else. But this is a just a guess with my limited clutch knowledge.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Sounds like a clutch issue to me. Have you pulled your inspection cover at the bellhousing to see if you see if the clutch started to come apart?

GreyAsp

Established Member
Sounds like a clutch issue to me. Have you pulled your inspection cover at the bellhousing to see if you see if the clutch started to come apart?
Yup, I took a peek but didn't see anything obvious.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Dunno, I was hoping to diagnose it without having to drop the tranny.

Well, you already replaced the cable, quadrant, etc etc.. the linkage is not the problem. I'm still putting my bets on the clutch, but I believe you're gonna have to drop the trans, pull it apart and inspect it.

Users who are viewing this thread