Clutch very close to the floor help pleaseee!!

KaspFivehundo

Established Member
Beyond frustrated at this point. My clutch pedal is about an inch or two off the floor. I have a steeda adjustable quadrant, firewall adjuster, and cable. I usually have no issues other then a squeaky TOB so I am guilty of having an over tightened cable as I put a bit more pressure than needed to quiet the bearing. I believe the pedal got too close to the floor by lifting the pedal in first gear while the car is off and pumping the clutch a few times. Is there a way to get the pedal to come back to a reasonable position and engage correctly. Is something broken? Anyone experience this before. Running a LUK rep set clutch installed about 3 years ago. Any input is greatly appreciated

Marcus

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Have you gotten under the dash yet to look at the cable routing?

Have you checked the cable at the clutch fork yet?

If it's an aftermarket cable I'd say it's stretched.

KaspFivehundo

Established Member
I just finished disconnecting everything. Disconnected the cable from the quadrant and the fork and reinstalled. Still the same it's like the pedal is stuck in the wrong position. If it was stretched wouldn't it have slack and not a clutch pedal an inch from the floor. I think the adjusting method of putting the car in first and pulling up on the pedal and then pumping the clutch git it to where it was. There has to be something that resets that or pulls the pedal back away from the floor to have a normal range. The clutch pedal travel is almost non exsistant.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Not that I'm aware of.

If you have a firewall adjuster, did your firewall adjuster move? I've had that happen before and it put my clutch out of adjustment.

KaspFivehundo

Established Member
No the firewall adjuster is snugged all the way to the firewall. Its too tight to unscrew it and move it from the firewall. It can probably be done im not sure it would be good. I am going to try and replace the cable because where the rubber part meets the plastic part that connects to the firewall adjuster the rubber part is pulled back so you can see the metal housing under the rubber on the outside of the cable.

O157cl.jpg

This is not the actual picture but the same separation shown just were the cable meets the firewall adjuster.

KaspFivehundo

Established Member
Steeda adjustable. I just ordered a new one. Im going to disassemble everything and put it back together tomorrow. Thanks for the input man.

NastyNate420

Established Member
which "hook" are you on on the quadrant? you might have to loosen the FW adjuster and put the cable on the next hook. then adjust the FW adjuster.

KaspFivehundo

Established Member
im on the farthest from the firewall I put on the closer one and tightened the cable and the pedal was still short. so short the car wouldn't start because the clutch wouldn't move enough to even start the car.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you removed the cable and the clutch didn't come back to it's normal spot something is mechanically wrong under the dash. If you were able to actually lift the pedal with your toe you broke or bent something. Can you get a pic of your quadrant and how it's mounted on the pedal assembly? You might also want to check the clutch safety switch. Make sure it's not blocking the pedal.

KaspFivehundo

Established Member
I will take pictures after work or tomorrow morning when i have an hour or two to work on it. I have a feeling something with the pedal assembly is messed up or broken. The pedal will not reset or come back and if it does its because I pull up on the pedal (foot under the pedal and pull towards driver seat).

KaspFivehundo

Established Member
Here is a shot of the TOB still spins
DSC_2503.JPG

I think it may have something to do with grey box looking thing
DSC_2515.JPG

or this the clutch pedal itself is cracked
DSC_2521.JPG

here is a shot of the pedals clutch is almost on the floor way lower than the brake
DSC_2524.JPG

here is a shot of the quadrant (ignore the ziptie, it was used momentarily to hold the cable on that hook while i connected to the fork.
DSC_2527.JPG

jblood37

Established Member
I can't tell by looking, but do you have a clutch pedal lowering kit installed? If not, that cable is probably f'd. Your tob is way way too far way from the pressure plate fingers. You say you can't adjust the firewall adjuster at all from the firewall?

KaspFivehundo

Established Member
I dont have any pedal kit installed, the picture of the TOB was taken with the cable disconnected and fork pulled back. I have a new cable on the way from steeda in the meantime Im gonna disconnect the cable and adjust the firewall adjuster then reconnect cable to see if that resolves the issue. Im hoping the cable its just adjusted incorrectly.

KaspFivehundo

Established Member
Have you gotten under the dash yet to look at the cable routing?

Have you checked the cable at the clutch fork yet?

If it's an aftermarket cable I'd say it's stretched.

I think its safe to say u called it. ill let you know for sure monday when the new cable gets here. Thanks for the input!!!

01yellercobra

Established Member
7cccbe0724abddf41af359c952165775.jpg

That concerns me. I don't remember there being any splits or cracks right there. While your cable definitely needs to be replaced, I think you need to check into this a little more closely.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread