Clutch/trans issues...

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
A few weeks ago I got stuck in some serious traffic leaving an event, and spent 45 min - 1 hr idling/moving a few feet at a time. Once I got out on the street I noticed it was extremely difficult to put into gear, especially 3rd, and felt like I was moving the shifter through cold molasses. We parked to get something to eat and when we got back on the road it was back to normal. Additionally, both times I've taken it to the track (before and after this incident) the clutch pedal has stuck to the floor after every run. My questions are -

Is the clutch system integrated into the braking system in this car? I want to change the fluid out for some high temp stuff, but if it's all integrated, I want to do line lock and SS brake lines at the same time.

When changing the fluid in the trans, is there better/high temp stuff I can put in there too? Overheating/frying the fluid due to extended idling or stop-and-go is not something I can have in a Houston DD. We aren't exactly known for good traffic.

Car has an MGW shifter in it. Oh, and the trans sounds like a blower and has since the day I bought it at 3k miles. It now has 7k. Not sure if that's relevant.

Last edited:

AZBOSS

Established Member
A few weeks ago I got stuck in some serious traffic leaving an event, and spent 45 min - 1 hr idling/moving a few feet at a time. Once I got out on the street I noticed it was extremely difficult to put into gear, especially 3rd, and felt like I was moving the shifter through cold molasses. We parked to get something to eat and when we got back on the road it was back to normal. Additionally, both times I've taken it to the track (before and after this incident) the clutch pedal has stuck to the floor after every run. My questions are -

Is the clutch system integrated into the braking system in this car? I want to change the fluid out for some high temp stuff, but if it's all integrated, I want to do line lock and SS brake lines at the same time.

When changing the fluid in the trans, is there better/high temp stuff I can put in there too? Overheating/frying the fluid due to extended idling or stop-and-go is not something I can have in a Houston DD. We aren't exactly known for good traffic.

Car has an MGW shifter in it. Oh, and the trans sounds like a blower and has since the day I bought it at 3k miles. It now has 7k. Not sure if that's relevant.

The brake system and clutch system share the same reservoir. I would definitely advise switching to a DOT4 fluid like ATE Typ200/Super Blue.

You should take your trans in to get looked at if it's whining like that. That's what the warranty is for...

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
It's a huge improvement over the stock ones in the cars I test drove. I would recommend MGW to anybody for any car, we have one on our Camaro as well. The quality and design is top notch, and worth every penny.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
The brake system and clutch system share the same reservoir. I would definitely advise switching to a DOT4 fluid like ATE Typ200/Super Blue.

You should take your trans in to get looked at if it's whining like that. That's what the warranty is for...

Super Blue is our fluid of choice :-D Thanks!

ViciousJay

Established Member
also Kat, i wouldnt do the pedal swap, i posted a how to remove the helper spring which will save you 200 bucks and help with your issue also ive noticed i have better pedal control and feeling

Users who are viewing this thread