Clutch/Tranny Rebuild Questions for 97 Cobra

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Hey guys/gals,

Just wanted to mention I'm not new to the site, just forgot my old password and got rid of the old email I had registered for this website so I got a new username. Anyway, I drive a 97 Cobra and today (i think) the throw out bearing went bad, started squealing like crazy when I got off the highway everytime I clutched...So I got it to Ford and I'll find out for sure tomorrow. Anyway, the clutch had been slipping a bit and the transmission pops out of 4th and reverse sometimes, so I'm thinking about getting the clutch replaced and getting the tranny rebuilt while its there. I'm just wondering if you guys have any advice on a solid clutch and tranny or if it would be smart to just do the rebuilt kit? I would like to supercharge the car eventually so I was hoping to get something a bit stronger than the stock parts...

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
What are using the car for? Is this a DD, weekend cruiser, or a street/strip car? If you want to keep the T45 I'd have it rebuilt by Promotion Powertrain down in south FL. If you want to switch to a 6speed and have a nice cruiser then you can buy a used T56. Ofcourse you'll need a new driveshaft if you go that route (T56).

As far as clutch there are a lot of mixed opinions on this subject. Every brand people have had bad experiences and good. But some of the popular choices are Spec, Centerforce, McCleod, and Ford Racing to name a few. -Mark

97cobratiny

97cobraTiny
Established Member
I just had my T45 rebuilt by a ford dealership tech,(under the table, dont tell anyone) and I bought my rebuild kit from Hanlon Motorsports. www.hanlonmotorsports.com I was going to go with Promotion Powertrain through the local FRPP dealer but I waited like 6 months and the said the rebuild kit was on backorder. Now the rebuild kit including all the extras came with basicly everything but the gears themselfs. We all know the T45 is known for the 3/4 fork braking and thats what happened to mine. Well Tremec makes a built-up 3/4 fork that Hanlon sells and Hanlon also has the same fork with even added reinforcement, which is what I got. SInce he was in there I also had him install an alum. flywheel, 03/04 Cobra clutch, clutch cable and quad, and alum. driveshaft(all Ford Racing parts). So far everything works great. Remember when you replace everything make sure to do the rear main seal while your in there.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
What are using the car for? Is this a DD, weekend cruiser, or a street/strip car? If you want to keep the T45 I'd have it rebuilt by Promotion Powertrain down in south FL. If you want to switch to a 6speed and have a nice cruiser then you can buy a used T56. Ofcourse you'll need a new driveshaft if you go that route (T56).

As far as clutch there are a lot of mixed opinions on this subject. Every brand people have had bad experiences and good. But some of the popular choices are Spec, Centerforce, McCleod, and Ford Racing to name a few. -Mark

+1

And what was your old username? I should be able to combine the info and get your old name back or delete it.

1FSTSNK

SVT Fanatic
Established Member
Recently had my T45 out of my 97 rebuilt by ProMotion Powertrain, had been spraying 150 NX dry shot on it for quite awhile and the trans was in bad shape when it came out, and had a completely busted TOB, had it rebuilt by PMP and a Spec Stage 2+ with a Spec Aluminum flywheel, I drive the car hard and launch it off of ET Streets at about 6800 rpms and the trans loves it :), it just keeps asking for more....my car puts down 423rwhp and 492rwtq on spray....just my .02.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
+1

And what was your old username? I should be able to combine the info and get your old name back or delete it.

Thanks Stampede. My old s/n was bitemark46. I was on this site right when it started but didn't log in for a while and some reason I think my account was removed or frozen.

mdisalvo85- there is also a guy on corral that makes 1-2 and 3-4 shift forks for the T45. There are picks and let me tell you they are beefy compared to the stockers. I might buy a set from him for insurance purposes. -Mark

Users who are viewing this thread