Clutch toast???

SVTCLOPTON

Established Member
I believe my clutch is toast came off the interstate the other day clutch feels like jelly up top and hard as a rock when I push it in blue loud whine. I been searching but I want to get it to the shop on monday. What are your opinions I been looking at the spec 3+ but others that I talked to said that the king cobra is actually good as well, I will replace the tob as well. I dont track my car nor do I launch it at 5k rpms. Also while I am in there should I upgrade to a 26spline? or is the 10spline just fine for a street car? Horsepower is in sig. I am thinking go with the spec 3+ but should I upgrade the spline while I have it broken down but is it worth it for a car that is not tracked?

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
Just pulled mine down for an auto swap. I used a Spec stage 2 for about 7k miles and it looks like new. Since you don't go to the track, I doubt you need the 26 spline input shaft.

anthony0979

Established Member
Not sure about clutch

This is my first post here. I am not sure but I belive my is on its way out. It is not mushy, but it is stiff all the way. Third is sometime hard to get in at high RPM's, and you can feel it hesitate a bit...Any thoughts out there. Possibly looking at putting a SPEC stage 2 +...... after winter

Addicted2Fun

Established Member
To the OP, upgrading to a 26 is definatly a comfort level thing for a street car. I have gone through clutches when the advertised "will hold up to XXX amount of HP!!!" So, the more protection against breaking i usually buy it for added security. The common saying with a clutch is "you get what you pay for"

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
This is my first post here. I am not sure but I belive my is on its way out. It is not mushy, but it is stiff all the way. Third is sometime hard to get in at high RPM's, and you can feel it hesitate a bit...Any thoughts out there. Possibly looking at putting a SPEC stage 2 +...... after winter

Sounds like you may have a clutch adjustment issue.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Do it right the first time. Upgrade the I/P shaft, TOB to FRPP HD, new retainer sleeve, and new fly wheel. I have a King Cobra and do like it (never see track or hard launches).

SVTCLOPTON

Established Member
thanks for the input guys I didnt even think about the head cooling mod. I will add that to the list then.

Last edited:

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
thanks for the input guys I didnt even think about the head cooling mode. I will add that to the list then.

Just a heads up seeing how you didn't know about the head cooling mod you may also not know its not a good idea to 5th-6th gear pulls in your cobra. Again this is just FYI... don't need to see another

"well my engine is broke" thread.

SVTCLOPTON

Established Member
update on my car: it already had a spec 3+, spec steel flywheel and it was upgraded to 26spline. The TOB by spec was toast, I went back with the same spec cluth and upgraded to Ford racing Tob and replace the flywheel ring thanks lethal!!!!. Also the head cooling mod was already done by the previous owner so I lucked out there car should be ready tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread