clutch time??

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Well theres 73K on the stock clutch and this weekend i noticed the car almost "bucking" if i was trying to accelerate in a high gear for the speed i was going. If i try to pull at all between 1500 and 2000 rpm the car bucks and the only thing i can figure is the clutch is slipping. The engine seems fine and you can hear it still revving normally but the car doesnt accelerate smoothly like it should.

Any ideas??

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
A slipping clutch won't make the car buck, your problems are probably elsewhere. If your clutch is on it's way out, when you punch it and the tires grip, your motor will rev freely as if your tires are spinning.

Put your car in third, tach it up to 5K RPM and pound the pedal to the floor, if the revs climb real quickly your clutch is slipping and will soon shit the bed, if you get planted into your seat and the motor revs nice and slow up towards redline, your clutch is fine.

97 slowbra

Banned
Ciotti said:
A slipping clutch won't make the car buck, your problems are probably elsewhere. If your clutch is on it's way out, when you punch it and the tires grip, your motor will rev freely as if your tires are spinning.

Put your car in third, tach it up to 5K RPM and pound the pedal to the floor, if the revs climb real quickly your clutch is slipping and will soon shit the bed, if you get planted into your seat and the motor revs nice and slow up towards redline, your clutch is fine.
+1

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Yea it doesnt slip continiously but if i punch it it will sort of stall while the engine revs strong. Its weird but i dont know what else to blame it on besides a clutch. It would make sense to me if the clutch was only slipping a little bit then grabbing then slipping but i have never heard of these symptoms before. So im confused.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Maybe you need to adjust the clutch.......do you have aftermarket firewall adjuster & quadrant? But after reading how you been punching it and it's been slipping I think you might have fried/crystalized the clutch disk already beyon saving. Have a shop look at it just to make sure before you dive & spend the mula mula.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Well punch is a really strong word but its my DD so ive just been taking this easy ever since it started. But i cant get on it too much at all in the lower rpms, and i cant use 5th untill at least 60 mph.

My mechanic is looking at it monday.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Hmm never thought of that.

but the engine seems to pull pretty consistantly it seems to me like its in the drivetrain behind the engine. I will grab some plug wires though they are cheaper than clutches and trannys. The tach climbs steady and the engine sounds normal though. could it still be plug wires?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If it is bucking like I think it is then that is the best bet.

I'll bet,
1.It only does it under load from low RPMs
2.If you down shift to 2nd or 3rd it doesn't do it.
3.Free reving doesn't do it.

If so it is usually wires but can be fuel pressure and a few other things.
But wires is my bet.

Edit: it is possible that it does it in every gear under load. so #2 could be different.

Last edited:

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Stampede is right on .... again w/ my symptoms. Ill change the plugs and wires asap. I hope i dont need a fuel pump.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Yep new plugs and wires made the car seem like a whole new animal. It pulls so much harder now and is alot better from when i bought her back in January.

for the sake of the search function

Tousley ford sells the 9mm plug wires for 80 ish a set

auto lite 764s and die electric grease was 11 something at autozone

The 9mm wires dont fit too well into the stock wire holders so im gonna try these from 50 resto and report back.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=M12297M04 1&comp=LRS

Stampede rules

This has been my informative post for the day. Thanks for reading. :)

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Good job on fixing the problem, and good job to Stampede for diagnosing the problem.
Did you ever install that Bassani X pipe?

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Ha no im slow im waiting untill i get the cat back. But i want to do all the maintance stuff first and i just had hernia surgery so i had a few weeks off work. Which doesnt help the cash flow.

I bought the car in january and have done

all new brakes
new fr 500 steering wheel
mgw shifter and race knob
replaced some worn interior trim parts
SS bumper inserts
tinted tails
smoked headlamps
CAI
fuel filter
new plugs and wires
new tranny fluid
serp belt
sea foam

next is the full bassani, gears and a new top in no particular order.

I think im caught up on all the maintance.

did i miss anything for almost 75k miles

Users who are viewing this thread